promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is required if an employee doesn't follow the privacy policy of HIPPA?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In June 2005, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) clarified who can be held criminally liable under HIPAA. Covered entities and specified individuals, as explained below, whom "knowingly" obtain or disclose individually identifiable health information in violation of the Administrative Simplification Regulations face a fine of up to $50,000, as well as imprisonment up to one year. Offenses committed under false pretenses allow penalties to be increased to a $100,000 fine, with up to five years in prison. Finally, offenses committed with the intent to sell, transfer, or use individually identifiable health information for commercial advantage, personal gain or malicious harm permit fines of $250,000, and imprisonment for up to ten years.

HIPAA can be a pain sometimes, but its designed to protect you and your information. It started because an employer fired an employee because they went through his health records and discovered he had aids. I know I wouldnt want just anyone to be able to access my personal information

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

HIPPA is a total joke. We helped get a woman to the hospital (we drove her and followed with her car) and after she got there not only did the hospital not tell her husband her condition (he was traveling out of state at the time) but we had her daughter and they told us she had checked out but her car was still in the parking lot! My husband finally had it and asked to use the phone to call the police because she had to take her car to get anywhere. They finally admitted she had been transferred to another hospital. It was a scarey time for her husband and her daughter.

Everyone needs to go their health provider and get a document signed that says you want anyone to know where you are and your condition, that this secret stuff is for high society and movie stars, but not for the average patient!!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.