How many loads of laundry do you do per week? What's average?

There are only two of us and it's about 5-6 full loads... we sort of pack the machine as much as we can. Any tips to minimize the amount of laundry?

Favorite Answer

I do only full loads of laundry, which, unfortunately, is not hard to do around here. I am a foster Mom and presently, am down to one little 14 yo, 2 dogs, and a mouse. We still manage to do 4-6 loads of laundry a week. The breakdown is as follows, towels (always plenty of them from showers, baths, company and the pool), bed linens (this includes sheets 1 x a week and other bed blankets, comforters and mattress pads 1x a month), Light colors, dark colors, and whites. This is as low as I can go without lowering the cleaning standards. If I have not got a full load, I might pull something a little early, say a curtain, or bedspread to make a load complete, but usually, I don't have to do that. I have made some changes to my laundry room recently, one was we added an outdoor clothesline near the pool, so some of the wet towels are simply being hung back on the line when we are done with them for a bit. I have family kids in and out all day long, so what if they have to use the same towel a couple of times while visiting and swimming? They'll live. With the foster daughter and myself, we have taken to using a bath towel 2-3 times (unless we've worked in the yard or something filthy) before tossing it in the wash. Also, I found some of those TurbyTwist tops for your hair at the $1 store, and I picked up a slew of those and give them to the fosters as a way to keep them from using a towel just for their hair and tossing each day in the laundry. Its their and they can hang it in the bath when they are done, and each one is a different color, so we know whose is whose on the floor! I'd say the new front loader is making a world of difference, clothes are cleaner with less water, the clothesline is making even mystery stains a thing of the past, the whites are coming out whiter in the sunshine and fresh air. And it all smells wonderful! I would encourage you to be careful of what is getting thrown in the laundry daily. If a shirt is worn to church for 2 hours, does it REALLY need to go in the laundry or can Junior wear it to school on Monday AND then toss into the laundry? Personal items should go in DAILY, bras u decide, panties and undies, DAILY! I come out of the bath into a towel and a bathrobe, and a Turby Twist and stand in front of the fan air drying while I put on jamas or an outfit. I don't need to use the towel to get ever nook and cranny, as it is pretty much dried by the time I slip something on. The Turby Twist goes back on the hook and the towel is hung up to dry. I only use it 2-4 times and then into laundry bin it goes. I know some people think you need to toss each one in, maybe for little ones who haven't really washed their personal parts maybe, but for those of us who know what a wash cloth is for, I am scrubbed clean, so the towel is only drying me enough I don't drip as I enter my bedroom, not to wipe my dirty fanny. Perhaps doing some things, such as throw rugs on an as needed basis? I was taking all the throw rugs in the house and doing them 1-2x a week, just because. I found it much better to do them as needed, or a minimum of 1x a week for the bath, to 1x a month for hallways, unless something appears needing it sooner. Hope this helps you get a grip on that laundry chore! Good luck!

• coupe

Average Laundry Loads Per Week

I do a load a day or a half dozen loads on the weekend. No way around it that I have found.

Don't pack your machines, the water and detergent need room to flow through the garments. Packed clothing means that the garments won't open up and expose any soiled areas. Also, it's really hard on the machine. It's better to do two small loads than one large one.

I also use cold water for everything, it's energy efficient and easy on the materials, nothing fades and nothing shrinks.

There are only two of us too. It's amazing how much laundry two people can generate. If you ever do figure out a way to lighten the loads, do the world a favor and share it.

There are four of us, and I do seven loads of laundry every weekend. If you want to minimize the amount of laundry try wearing things more than once before you wash it. Say maybe you only have a shirt on for two hours and didn't get it dirty, wear it again later in the week. Same with blue jeans. You might think it is gross but my husband and I share a towel. It is just water and it dries.

We also have 5-6 loads a week for 2 of us. There are a lot of variables to consider. My husband has uniforms for work, but they do not provide a laundry service, so 2 loads come from that--which means, aside from his work clothes, we actually only have about 4 loads. That's not so bad, if you think of it...

Additionally, they say softened water makes a big difference in laundry habits: less soap, and additives. Also, if you hang your laundry outside to dry it, that might help in costs associated w/drying...

Hope some of this is helpful.

5-6 loads doesn't sound out of the ordinary, even for two people. I mean, factor in clothes being washed for both of you, towels for the kitchen and bathing, bedding, curtains, etc.

Do you guys have a lot of clothes you don't really wear a lot? If so, maybe you can wash them up (one last time!) and donate some to charity. I have done that on occasion; it's a great way to get rid of excessive clutter and help others at the same time.

8-10 loads for our house of 4. More in the summer (I wash the sheets more often and we tend to change clothes more often during the day).

You can get a front load washer, which handles bigger loads. There's really no way to minimize the amount except to wear clothes twice, which would be gross and not recommended.

Its just my husband and I. I do laundry once a week. Here are the loads i do!

dark tops

dark bottoms

jeans

whites

whites-gentle cycle

darks-gentle cycle

dark towels

his PT clothes(multiple times a week)

I think that is all of them!

no way around it, we go through a lot of clothes all week.

I sort by color first - light medium dark. Then if there is any "fragile" items in any of them, I pull them out. That way I usually end up with 3 loads. Also, I combine towels, clothes, etc. all together. I know people that try to do one load of towels, one load of jeans, one load of socks....too much! Just some suggestions

• Boggy

4 x 7kg for 2 of us. Extra sometimes when washing things like matress protector, washable coats etc. I try to ensure a full load. Without lowering your standards you cannot minimize it.