Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesOther - Car Makes · 1 decade ago

Mazda protege 2000, vs Nissan Altima, vs nissan maxima 2000?

Hey everyone!!

Im currently 17 years old male, and i'm planning on buying my first car next week!

I have a budget of $5000 to $6000, so i'm looking for a good car that runs well and that can last me at least 3 years

Im hesitating between, the mazda protege, the nissan altima, and the nissan maxima. A civic would be nice also, but i dont think i want one, because their too popular, and like, everyone has em. Also, i dont like the toyota corolla.

Thx, any help would be appreciated!

note* I am not limited to the 3 cars i mentionned above, i am also opened to new brands and models also ( year 1999 and above plz)

• C7S
    Best Answer

The Mazda handles the best and is most fun to drive. Also most reliable and fuel efficient.

The Altima is bigger, more powerful, and faster.

The Maxima has a V6 so it uses the most gas. But it is the fastest and most powerful. Most expensive insurance too.

I have a 96 Mazda Protege myself and it handles like a race car. It is very fun to drive. But it accelerates slow with the automatic transmission.

All are good choices. All should have comparable reliability. The Protege will likely be more fuel efficient.

Avoiding Civics is a good idea...there is too much idiocy surrounding them, particularly among young males.

I'd suggest if you can find one in your price range (you might, barely) you look for a Protege 5, or a Protege MP3.

You could get a 99 Miata for around 6000 dollars, if you buy at the right time in the right part of the country.

If you don't mind a little bit of a hit to fuel economy, there's the Subaru Impreza, Legacy, and Forester, which would just be in your year/price range. (Avoid 2.5 liter engines in your price range, though).

Suzuki Esteem? Oh, and the Accord...if you're considering an Altima, definitely look for Accords. The Camry...meh.

Oh, and GM W-platform cars (Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, Impala, Regal, etc).