Is there an algorithm, if used consistently, that will solve a Rubik's cube?

Even if it takes a 200 repetitions of it, what is it? I know that if a pattern of moves are repeated over and over, a Rubik's cube would eventually get solved.

• Favorite Answer

NO!

I just had to put that in caps because I see so many people saying yes. And that's completely wrong. There is no ONE algorithm, if used over and over, that can solve the rubik's cube every time. You must use different algorithms at different periods of your solve in order to solve the cube.

Technically, if you have the aid of a computer and mathematical formulas. Most cubes can be solved in 17 moves, and there is really no cube that requires more than 20 moves. But only a computer can really solve it that way. Normaly people have to use a set of algorithms to solve it.

I know it's not part of your question, but I just made a tutorial on how to solve a rubik's cube, if you are curious on ways to actually solve it.

http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9950DE3003FD97...

Good luck!

Source(s): Many years of cubing

Well, 200 repitions of it isn't a whole lot. There's been a big search for it, and they call it "God's Algorithm." Basically, it doesn't exist.... There are about 4.3x10^11 possible configurations of th e cube, and there is no one algorithm that goes through every single one of those. Plus, if there was one it would take a pretty long time. If it makes you feel any better, any cube can be solved in 23 turns, no matter how messed up it is. So if you're trying to solve it, from a certain spot you have a 1 in 6^23 chance of getting it right in just 23 turns. So ya, no algorithm that automatically solves it.

The so-called God's Algorithm would solve any position in

a minimal number of moves. God has not yet revealed it.

There are procedures for solving the cube,

they take about two pages of instructions to describe.

The basic idea is this:

there are various known combinations of moves which

will rearrange certain "cubies" (as few as 2 or 3) and

leave everything else in place. In the course of doing

them, you might mess other cubies up, but then you

put them back, rearranging only the ones you wanted to.

You build up a repertoire of these (about a dozen or two

dozen), and apply them as needed.

A fairly simple, but not too quick method is as follows:

Stage 1:

First pick one face and arrange all the 8 cubies that form

its edge properly. This can be done without much in the

way of special moves, since it's ok to mess up everything

else.

Stage 2:

Then solve the middle layer, using your bag of tricks.

On this stage you want to preserve the first face,

but it's ok to mess up the last face.

Stage 3:

Solve the last face, again using pre-figured out moves.

This is the most constrained because you don't have

much freedom with regard to the rest of the cube.

The larger your bag of tricks, the more efficient you can

be by doing larger combinations at once.

For example if you have 5 cubies to cycle into each

others' places, and you have a 15 move sequence that

does that, it's quicker than two 12 move sequences that

do three of them and then the other two. The ultimate

version of that would the God's Algorithm.

When I was in practice, I could do it in about 3 minutes.

Frankly, I don't have the slightest idea how the people

who do it in 20 seconds or whatever manage that,

even with specially lubricated, easy to turn cubes.

=

There is no algorithm for solving the whole cube. The super fast people know over 100 algorithms, but only 4-5 of them will be needed in solving the cube. Sorry there is no algorithm for solving the whole cube.

Source(s): Lar5.com cubewhiz.com youtube.com/somethingcool00 youtube.com/Thrawst

The best way to learn is... go to youtube.com and search for... "How To Solve A Rubik's Cube"

I can solve a cube in under three minutes because of watching that video on youtube

• Amy W

There is no series of moves that you can memorize and just do the same exact moves to every cube and solve them all. There are algorithms to change the arrangements, and you have to look at the cube and decide which algoritgms to do.

What I think you are thinking of is that if you take any series of moves and do it over and over again, eventually you'll get back to where you started.

There is no ONE move used to solve a Rubik's cube (except planned solves) . But, there are different algorithms used in different situations (such as, all but one tile is the right color).

If you buy a Rubik's cube it comes with directions on how to solve it.

• max

yes there is and at most you need only 52 moves. just google for it and you wil get sites explaining how to solve the rubik cube.

Source(s): I can solve the cube in 52 moves.
  • Deenie

I saw a book about solving Rubik's cubes not long ago. Wouldn't it be in there?

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/41140_rubiks-cu...