How can I naturally have my finger nails grow and be healthier?

Right now they're chipped/bitten/ and all of the nails are different sizes. I heard its because of nail polish. So i took off my nail polish. Now what? Besides the special aloe nail polish they sell in stores, whats another remedy?I am 16 and I would like healthy nails again :)
Update: also: Cutting them short-short to start fresh would help a bit. But the problem is that I have the nail on top[[not all of it, just the bottom part where the nail grows]] chipped too, like u can take of a little of the top part. and Imy mom told me it's bad to cut them short-short because it can give u... show more also: Cutting them short-short to start fresh would help a bit. But the problem is that I have the nail on top[[not all of it, just the bottom part where the nail grows]] chipped too, like u can take of a little of the top part.

and Imy mom told me it's bad to cut them short-short because it can give u tomours on the tips of your nails later because bacteria would be easy to get into the nail.