Is Folate the same as Folic Acid?

I was reading my vitamin bottle last night and it says folate, not folic acid though.

Best Answer

Yes, they are the same thing. I think it´s just slightly different forms of the same nutrient, if I remember correctly. I believe Folate is also the word used more often scientifically, and folic acid is the word you´re going to see on your cereal boxes, for example.

Source(s): This article at wikipedia may help out some: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folate

Technically a folate is a folic acid salt and any of a group of substances that act as coenzymes and promote the chemical transfer of single carbon units from one molecule to another. Folic acid, a water-soluble vitamin, functions as a coenzyme. While they function in similar ways, they are not exactly the same thing. Folate is pteroylpolyglutamate acid and folic acid is pteroylmonoglutamic acid. But your body uses folates to make folic acid. Just take the folic acid.

my understanding is that folate is natural and folic acid is manufactured in a lab.

It is, just a different form.

yes, I believe it is.

Source(s): pregnancy guide