Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesScion · 1 decade ago

is it a bad idea to install the trd supercharger to my automatic transmission scion tc?

Best Answer

I wouldn't do it. Not because of the automatic trans though. I wouldn't do it because its poorly designed.

The pulley being on the front of the engine with the compressor on the back connected by a torque shaft puts a lot of load on the compressor brackets. Even with the redesigned stronger brackets people have still been breaking the supercharger brackets and bearings.

I'm just got my 3rd supercharger and I've only got about 45k with the 1st 2. The 1st one lasted about 25k miles although I'm pretty sure it was broken for about 10k since the dealer couldn't find a problem. The redesigned one with much thicker brackets lasted 20k before it also failed.

Hunt - Yes it is a centrifugal supercharger. For a small engine I would rather have a roots type because its going to make some low end power which the centrifugal ones wont. Drive a TRD one and tell me that does anything below 3,000 RPM.

Source(s): 05 tC SC and glad I got a 100k mile warranty. http://www.autoblog.com/2005/10/17/finally-trd-off...

It’s not bad at all; there is a version of the tC that already comes with a supercharger installed. The supercharger system was designed and developed by TRD exclusively for the tC using a belt-driven centrifugal supercharger for smooth power delivery and compact size. It offers up to 200 horsepower, up to a 25% increase in peak horsepower, and up to a 13% increase in maximum torque.

Take a look at this site for more info:

http://www.trdusa.com/superchargers.cfm

I'd do some serious thinking about it. Find some online boards that talk about it and see what people say who have done it or why they didn't. Make sure you find some who have had one in for a while to see what they think after they've had time to really use a mod on the car. I make a point of never being one of the first people to "test" mods on vehicles. Especially major engine work.

They're not centrifugal They are a "Roots" style To the poster that said that, you /fail

If you really wanna put a S/Cer on your car, find a centrifugal. www.procharger.com makes a "tuner" kit based on their P-1SC.

7-8PSI is plenty for that car. Then, after its installed, you will have to have it tuned. And you will need to add fuel enrichment. Higher volume pump, larger flow rate injectors, your MAF will have to be re-calibrated. And your shift points will need re-vamping, and the I-VVTI could cause a problem.

It you are doing it yourself, yes.

If Toyota is doing it, then why not? A Pontiac G8 GT only comes in automatic at the moment and it goes 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. Try that against another automatic!!

ya man plain tcs look the best