Is borax safe to use on carpets to kill fleas in a home with a child?

I'm confused...some sites say it's safe, others say it's toxic. I really want to get rid of the fleas but obviously don't want to harm my son or my cat in the process. I have put salt on the carpet, but want to try Borax to really get rid of them. Does anyone have any definite info either from... show more I'm confused...some sites say it's safe, others say it's toxic. I really want to get rid of the fleas but obviously don't want to harm my son or my cat in the process. I have put salt on the carpet, but want to try Borax to really get rid of them. Does anyone have any definite info either from literature or personal use regarding the safety of Borax??? Thanks!!!
Update: ***Thanks for the answers and suggestions. I've listened to the advice and gone against using the Borax. I called the Vet and took the cat in for a "super bath" which included a flea bath, capstar pill, and flea medicine. She seems to be less itchy! I also went to several stores until I settled at... show more ***Thanks for the answers and suggestions. I've listened to the advice and gone against using the Borax. I called the Vet and took the cat in for a "super bath" which included a flea bath, capstar pill, and flea medicine. She seems to be less itchy! I also went to several stores until I settled at Petco for "Biospot" for the carpets, which is suppsed to be safe for kids and pets...I hope so! I hope the fleas are history! Thanks!