how easy is it to catch TB?

my fiance's aunt was just diagnosed with TB and he is soo worried that he will catch it if he goes around her. she is starting her treatment and i feel bad not coming around he is just scared because he is going into law enforcment and he has to be TB free...is it airborne? can he get it just from being close to her? please help we feel real bad but cant really risk catching the disease

Favorite Answer

When people suffering from active pulmonary TB cough, sneeze, speak, or spit, they expel infectious aerosol droplets 0.5 to 5 µm in diameter. A single sneeze, for instance, can release up to 40,000 droplets.[17] Each one of these droplets may transmit the disease, since the infectious dose of tuberculosis is very low and the inhalation of just a single bacterium can cause a new infection.[18]

Tuberculosis is spread by aerosols created by coughing or sneezing.People with prolonged, frequent, or intense contact are at particularly high risk of becoming infected, with an estimated 22% infection rate. A person with active but untreated tuberculosis can infect 10–15 other people per year.[2] Others at risk include people in areas where TB is common, people who inject drugs using unsanitary needles, residents and employees of high-risk congregate settings, medically under-served and low-income populations, high-risk racial or ethnic minority populations, children exposed to adults in high-risk categories, patients immunocompromised by conditions such as HIV/AIDS, people who take immunosuppressant drugs, and health care workers serving these high-risk clients.[19]

Transmission can only occur from people with active—not latent—TB. The probability of transmission from one person to another depends upon the number of infectious droplets expelled by a carrier, the effectiveness of ventilation, the duration of exposure, and the virulence of the M. tuberculosis strain.[10] The chain of transmission can therefore be broken by isolating patients with active disease and starting effective anti-tuberculous therapy. After two weeks of such treatment, people with non-resistant active TB generally cease to be contagious. If someone does become infectous, then it will take at least from 21 days, or 3-4 weeks, before the new infectous person can transmit the disease to others.[20] TB can also be transmitted by eating meat if the cattle is infected with TB. Mycobacterium bovis causes TB in cattle.

Hope I helped. :)

• ruh

How To Catch Tb

• T I

Pulmonary TB (in the lungs) is contagious. It spreads when a person who has active TB breathes out air that has the TB bacteria in it and then another person breathes in the bacteria from the air. An infected person releases even more bacteria when he or she does things like cough or laugh.

If TB is only in other parts of the body (extrapulmonary TB), it does not spread easily to others.

You should definitely get a second opinion from another vet if you are not sure whether you trust your regular vet's opinion on this matter. It's no big deal, people get second opinions all the time. If the second vet agrees, then there's your answer. If he disagrees, you can either get a third opinion to break the tie or just pick one and hope for the best. I bought a 3 year old with a mild heart murmur. The vet check vet said it was nothing to worry about. I bought her, trained her, and did eventing through training level as well as some competitive trail rides. She did great with everything. Then one day when she was 9 years old, I found her dead in the field. There was no sign of struggle, pain, rolling, or injury. I did not have a necropsy done so there's no way to say for sure what killed her. My vet said it sounded like what happens with a ruptured aorta. Who knows if her heart murmur contributed to either a heart problem or her death?

Yes it is airborne, but therw are ways to prevent catching it yourself. Obviously, staying hygeninc is an important one. I think wearing a protective mask like the ones doctor's use would help too. Your doctor would probably be a better source than the internet.

TB is famous for being highly contagious, so I wouldn't suggest being around her until you've asked your doctor about what you can do to stay healthy.

I hope your future aunt in law will be ok.