A serious question about AMERICA'S terrible HEALTH CARE system...?

Did you know our life expectancy rate has topped 78 for the first time ever? Turns out, we have "falling mortality rates in almost all the leading causes of death."

Is this something that can really occur in a country with such terrible health care? Maybe it's just me....but I would think a country with a dwindling health care system would have a LOWER life expectancy rate from year to year....

NOT FALLEN - It has GONE UP!

The question is a mockery (reread)

PIP - I'm glad you said "Universal" and not "socialized." Universal is 100% coverage....whereas socialized is a government ran (or at least highly involved) program. In theory, socialized medicine works in the way you have discribed. But I'd like to see a source providing information about how it has actually been successful in that way....it might take a while to find....

Sahara....I don't even know how to respond to that....except to say you need to RE-READ this question and its supporting comments.....

Favorite Answer

See... You have let the Democrats lie to you to the point that you think there is a health care system. There is not!

Doctors are not federal employees.

There are 50 states in this country, each with its own laws.

States and communities are (or at least should be) responsible for the health care "system". The federal government is the WORST possible choice for governing such a thing.

If the federal government regulates this system, how many people will get left out? Every region is different... different demographic, different economy, different medical needs, different lifestyles...

We are a diverse nation... just as it was intended. That is why we are the United States and not the Federal Republic of America.

Let the states handle it. If the care in your community is substandard, I suggest you first ask yourself, "what am I doing to help?" Then you should get in touch with members of your state legislature...

GET INVOLVED! Quit waiting on the federal government to take care of you... it is not their job!

• Sylvia

I dont believe a lot of you "facts" about the health system. I think they are overstated, to say the least. That being said, I think there are working class people that fall through the cracks. They work and dont make a lot of money, but too much for govt help. I believe these people should be helped. However, the answer is NOT to throw the entire system away, but to fix the problems. It reminds me of throwing away a radio and buying a new one when the batteries die, as opposed to simply buying new batteries.

• pip

Actually, and this is very sad, for the first time in recorded history.. our children are expected to have a shorter life expectancy than ourselves. Life expectancies have been growing and growing world wide due to medicine, life styles and availability of food. (I train on the nutrition and health of our children.. and how to improve it.. give me some time and I can find you a source if you need it)... but this is all due to our sedentary lifestyles and lack of proper diets.. our children are really getting screwed over by it all. And I realize you are talking about right now.. I'm talking about a few years from now...

When it comes to health care.. this is how I look at it. The US system of health care is the type of system that is VERY good at treating the symptoms. You get a cold.. they give you pain relievers and fever reducers... you get cancer.. they zap the tumor. Universal health care is better at Preventing the initial causes. Less people getting pneumonia.. less people getting to the point where they need to have a tumor zapped.. that sort of thing.. it focuses on treating the cause rather than the symptom. Now, for overall health of a society.. Universal Care is better.. because you have fewer people getting to that place where terminal care is needed... but for the people who get to that point anyway... our system is better...

So really.. in the end.. if we can keep our standards high.. and implement some sort of Hybrid system... we might be able to get the best of both worlds.. and that would be awesome.. and hey.. we're the freaking USA!!! So why not? Our entire system of government is based off of looking around the world, past and present, and saying.. "Hey, I like the way they did that.. lets see if we can do it better!"

• Granny

Germany's doctors are far ahead of ours in technology. This , I know, because the US army says so.

Americans have become more health conscious in the past few years because of the raises in the cost of healthcare and prescription drugs. Who can afford to pay to go to a doctor, unless they are insured?

Who could afford the price of common medicines, such as Lipitor, without insurance? ($125/month)

One thing about our health care system that worries me is quality. Thousands die each day due to medical incompetence. If a Doctor's license is revoked for Malpractice, they just move to another state and start over.

Unknowing people put their own lives in danger, because they have no way of knowing about this Doctor's past.

If our postage is regulated, tobacco, liquor, etc., then Physicians and health care should be regulated also.

Two years ago I broke my thumb playing softball in the early evening, and had an X-ray that night and was in surgery the next day. I paid a total of $258 out of pocket for the diagnostic, procedure, and follow up work.

This February I tore the cartiledge (sp?) in my knee while skiing. I had a specialist examine it and got an MRI one day after it happened. The MRI and two doctor visits cost me $116.

I pay a total of $158 a month total for this level of service, and if covers both my wife and me.

Surgery for $200, an MRI for $100, next day service, and all for less than 3% of my gross salary! Yeah, health care in this country is AWFUL!

The problem is we have a high level of health care for the most part, but a lot of people can't afford that care. Or if they get it, they're in the hole financially.

The issues with it have nothing to do with the doctors and hospital, but rather with the cost of getting that care.

Considering that we don't have the best health care system (industry) in the world says a lot. We are kind of far down for having a private system. Quality of life is decreasing which affects longevity. The life expectancy rate has fallen for the first time in a long time. Shouldn't it be increasing but really we should be focused on quality of life, not quantity? If I start acting old at 65, shoot me. I hope I'm like my parents. They still act young.

I think you need to lose your bias and check the facts for yourself. You are wrong. Sorry. But I can admit that I may not be completely correct but I'm more right than you.

Medicine as in sports or anything else is business. The primary concern is what is in your pocket, what can I get out, everything else is secondary.

Capitalism (monopolies, oligopolies) kill. The doctors have a monopoly on the market. They charge more than people can afford and the capitalist pigs that run our government won't stop them. It is all about the almighty dollar in the USA and that is why we are going down the tubes. The poor must rise up and defeat the rich.

I bet if you cited your sources it would say that the reason for the fallen life expectency rate would be due to obesity.

We live in such a wealthy country that we are eating ourselves into an early grave! IN SPITE OF our MARVELOUS health care system!