Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

What can cause a false negative pregnancy test?

My fiancee and I think we may be pregnant. We aren't sure though. I am late for my period by five days, we did have sexual intercourse during my time of ovulation, and did so without even knowing 3 days of the five, my first doctors appointment hasn't even been scheduled yet. I have a lot of pregnancy symptoms but I had 2 negative pregnancy tests. Could it be false? I'm just anxious to know. If you could help, I'd like that. P.S DONT POST STUPID ANSWERS PLEASE. EITHER YOU DO YOUR BEST TO HELP ME OR MOVE ON TO SOMEONE ELSES QUESTION!

Best Answer

If you take a home pregnancy test too early, you may get a false negative result. A false negative result is when the test says you are not pregnant but you are. This can be misleading and when using home pregnancy tests you must be very careful of avoiding any factors that may cause false results.

One reason for a false negative pregnancy test could be that you took the test too early. Pregnancy tests vary in their sensitivity which means how soon they can detect the hormone Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in your urine. It is possible that although your ovum might be fertilized, meaning you may be pregnant, but your body has not started secreting enough Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) for the test to measure. Your body needs time for the hormone to rise to a high enough level to be detected in a test.

There is a possibility that while using the home pregnancy test strip you either did not dip it well or did not hold it well in your urine stream. This error in technique may give false negative results.

For accuracy in home pregnancy tests it is essential that you read the test results in the stipulated reaction time. If you let the test sit for too long (after the instructions on the box tell you), the test is invalid. This may cause it to show false negative results.

If the home pregnancy test shows negative results but you still think you could be pregnant, wait a few days and try again. A negative result can mean that you are not pregnant, you took the test too early or you took the test wrong. Also, if you have received different answers on multiple pregnancy tests, it is recommended that you get a blood test done to get an accurate answer.

Some stuff that could cause a false - test

-not using first morning urine (FMU)

-being to early to get +

Sometimes it takes a while to get a + test. With my son I was nearly 9 weeks before I got a + test. With this one I knew I was pg right away and got a + blood test at 3 weeks 4 days. I took a HPT at 4 weeks just to see that + sign.

So my advice would be to take a test ever few days for a week or till your period shows. Or go to doctor and get a blood test.

Good luck and I hope that you get the answer you want.

MissyC

One son (3), 13 weeks 2 days with #2

Many times this soon after conception, a woman's hormone levels might not be high enough to be detectable by a home pregnancy test. You can either wait a few more days and test again, or see if you can get into your doctor for a blood test to be sure.

Best of luck to you!

Pregnancy hormones are strongest first thing in the morning, so do a test then. If it's still negative and you think you are pregnant, your doctor can do a blood test with a higher degree of accuracy.

Good Luck.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

My fiancee and I think we may be pregnant. We aren't sure though. I am late for my period by five days, we did have sexual intercourse during my time of ovulation, and did so without even knowing 3 days of the five, my first doctors appointment hasn't even been scheduled yet. I have a lot...

Source(s): false negative pregnancy test: https://shortly.im/EBgEb
  • Berke

false negative pregnancy test

When you go to the doctor get a blood test to check your HCG levels. Sometimes it takes weeks for you to get a Positive test result. It happen to me, I didn't find out until I was 4 months. I hope this helps.

You very well could have still tested to early.Use your first urine of the morning and if it's still negative make a doctors appoinment immediately.Some women don't have enough hcg in their urine so it says negative.good luck