Will mold die and go away in clean and dry environment?
I just moved into a new apartment and found the sink had been leaking for a long time and created mold in, under and around the kitchen cabinets. The sink has been fixed and I am curious if the mold will die and go away if the area is kept clean and dry.
- A.MercerLv 71 decade agoBest Answer
That current growth of mold might die back but the spores will last a very long time. Mold spores are very hardy. They can withstand long periods of dry. They can withstand freezing. Heck, some can even take pretty high temperatures. To truly clean the place you need to treat it with something that will kill the spores.
- 3 years ago
Do not use bleach because bleach will make it go to spores as stated above it will actually open up the surface your working on and make it more poreous and give the mold a better hold onto the surface because mold is all around and once you spray that area it will evaporate and leave a sanded surface behind giving the mold a better hold and a deeper hold onto the material. It might work on some materials but i know on cement in basements the only thing that works is paint. you have to paint right over it and that will kill it forever. BEcause paint is a permanent sealer and has oils and bonds close and dries as a new surface also the fumes evaporate and keep mold off i think im not shure but use kilz paint which works good for basement floors. DO more research and you will find more info dont just do it unless you do a lot of research so you can do it right but be quick if it is just new mold because you might be able to stop it before it spreads and and it only takes about 24 hours after that its too late. because it spreads pretty fast.
- 1 decade ago
Do you know that it's actually mold and not just mildew? If there is mold on cabinets it can be cleaned with a bleach and water solution (sometimes it takes multiple cleanings) and it will eventually go away, but if the mold is growing on drywall or another really porous surface the affected area has to be removed and replaced. Ehow.com has great step by step directions on how to take care of mold on drywall.
- 4 years ago
Bleach is dangerous to use because it causes the organism to go to spore. It is best to clean mold with soap and water, then dry thoroughly. Then a mold treatment like benefect can be safely applied to prevent regrowth. If the material is removable, wet the area and cut it away without disturbing the mold.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Mr. MoleLv 51 decade ago
Mould is a living organism, and therefore to eliminate it you must stop the growth of it. So kill the mould off with a proprietary brand of mould remover, twice over. To prevent a recurrance, you need light, and ventilation Mould likes Damp, Warm and darkness to thrive.
- 1 decade ago
no, it doesn't just die...the apt complex should take care of this for you... but if not then spray it with bleach and make sure it gets fairly saturated.... keep an eye on it... you may have to repeat this a couple of times over the next month or so....
- 1 decade ago
Unfortunately, no, it won't just "die" or go away. You must remove with bleach.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
you must kill it by using bleach .