Atheologian: How do you explain the MANY unspecified Biblical prophecies that have most certainly come true?

Best Answer

Jews do not believe that Jesus is the Moshiach (Messiah) because the following have not been fulfilled (at one time on Earth - no second chances!):

* The Sanhedrin will be re-established (Isaiah 1:26)

* Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4)

* The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17)

* He will be descended from King David (Isaiah 11:1) via King Solomon (1 Chron. 22:8-10)

* The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with "fear of God" (Isaiah 11:2)

* Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4)

* Knowledge of God will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9)

* He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10)

* All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)

* Death will be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8)

* There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8)

* All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19)

* The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11)

* He will be a messenger of peace (Isaiah 52:7)

* Nations will end up recognizing the wrongs they did to Israel (Isaiah 52:13-53:5)

* The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23)

* The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55)

* Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)

* The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvot

* He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9)

* Jews will know the Torah without Study (Jeremiah 31:33)

* He will give you all the desires of your heart (Psalms 37:4)

* He will take the barren land and make it abundant and fruitful (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13-15, Ezekiel 36:29-30, Isaiah 11:6-9).

Maybe I'm confused... but these are all 'prophecies?' Making a prediction about the natural paradigm of the world suggest supernatural and holy knowledge? 1. Predicting man will get smarter... yeah, that's what we do... we think, reason, and discover. This is largely why we don't put stock in prophecies anymore because we now understand things like meteorology, plate tectonics, the greed and fickleness of mankind, astronomy, and train schedules. Things happening after we predict them doesn't phase us anymore... if my plane gets to atlanta by the time written on the ticket, I don't worship the airline that printed the ticket. 2. If israel falls and is reborn a third time, will the prophecy toggle back to unfulfilled? This is kind of a political prophecy, right? Let me make one... I predict that the constitution of the us will one day have 28 amendments. As God is my witness!!! 3. Here we go... predicting that natural disasters will contue to occur seems more like a reasonable assumption rather than a prophecy... I predict that earthquakes will continue to occur anywhere there are active faults, hawaii's volcanoes will erupt some more, and people will tend to suffer the flu around about the time flu vaccination shots get posted at the rite aid... am I a prophet? 4. I observed the leonid meteor showers this year, and I observed ot in 2001... I haven't gotten out to view them every year, but I know that I'll get another chance to do it next year and every year we pass through the leonid cloud. I'd say this 'prophecy' was a pretty good guess for people with a very limited understanding of astronomy... but not really a prophecy. Meteors are going to occasionally hit the earht... there's nothing supernatural about it. If one manages to 'smite' a city... that's just bum luck. I saw the peaskill meteorite zip through the sky the night it pulverized the trunk of a car in baltimore I think it was... was that car a sinner? Was it smited by god? Or was it just a remarkable event of chance... do cars have original sin? Prophecies that were fulfilled in the span of history the bible depicts don't really count since the author can just (brace yourself) retroactively make it up. All the rpophecies that you point out as being fulfilled in contemporary or modern history... all sound like patterned assumptions. The sun rose everyday for as long as I remember... I assume it will rise again tomorrow. Prophecy!!!!

Lets say that you are a writer.

Lets say that you want to add a bit of authority to the make believe you're writing.

Lets say that you want your character to appear special, maybe, predict the future.

Lets say that you are writing a chapter while in the 4th century.

Lets say that your character supposedly existed 300 years before.

Lets say that you know some actual historical event that occurred in, say, the 3rd century.

Just have your 1st century character predict the event which is already history but would have been in the future for your imaginary character.

How easy would that be.

Now comes some naive, uninformed modern who reads but does not understand and

Voila! You have verification of am imaginary character who never existed but must have since he predicted an event that actually occurred in history.

All you need is a little knowledge and a healthy amount of dishonesty.

Simple. It's done all the time. There are more than three famous books which used this method. You probably only know about the three!

• Jim S

Not sure which unspecified ones you are referring to...here are a few very specific ones....

* The prophet Isaiah foretold that a conqueror specifically named Cyrus would destroy seemingly impregnable Babylon and subdue Egypt along with most of the rest of the known world. This same man, said Isaiah, would decide to let the Jewish exiles in his territory go free without any payment of ransom (Isaiah 44:28; 45:1; and 45:13). Isaiah made this prophecy 150 years before Cyrus The Great was born, 180 years before Cyrus performed any of these feats and 80 years before the Jews were even taken into exile.

* In Ezekiel 26:4, the prophet said the buildings of Tyre would be ripped down and that the rubble would be scraped away. First, the Babylonians destroyed the mainland of Tyre during an attack that ended in 573 BC. Then, Alexander the Great attacked the island of Tyre in 333-332 BC. Alexander's army scraped the rubble from the mainland and tossed it into the sea in order to build a land bridge to the island.

* In Ezekiel 37:21-22, the prophet said that God would one day bring the Jews back to Israel, as a united nation. Ezekiel lived about 2600 years ago and at that time, the people of Israel had already divided themselves into two separate kingdoms. And, both kingdoms had been conquered by foreign invaders, who forced many of the people, including Ezekiel, into exile in other countries. In 1948, the Jews reclaimed sovereignty and did so as a united people, creating one nation - Israel.

* In Ezekiel 29:15, the prophet says that Egypt would never again rule over other nations. Up until the time of Ezekiel, Egypt had been a world power for centuries, dominating many nations, including Israel. But for most of the past 2500 years, Egypt has been controlled by foreign powers, including the Romans, Ottomans and Europeans. In 1948, 1967 and 1973, Egypt tried to dominate Israel but was unsuccessful each time, despite the fact that Egypt is many times larger than Israel. Today, Egypt is an independent nation and still has no rule over other nations.

* In approximately 700 B.C. the prophet Micah named the tiny village of Bethlehem as the birthplace of Jesus. (Micah 5:2)

* In Psalm 22, David describes how the soldiers will cast lots to divide up Jesus’ clothes amongst themselves.

The mathematical probability of not just one or two but all these prophecies coming true at this specific level of detail, (and this is not an exhaustive list of all fulfilled prophecies in the Bible), is statistically staggering. All these prophets were known to live long before the prophecies came true and their writings were in circulation long before they happened as well.

Name five of em and we'll let you know.

Make sure that you know when these prophecies were written, and make sure they are not simply vague gibberish that could be applied to anything.

For example I could state:

"When a fool is ruling a mighty kingdom and there is great turmoil in the world, a prophet will arise and teach his people how to understand truth".

Name a year in recorded history and I'll fit that to it, Guaranteed. Come back to me in ten years and I'll fit it to each of those years too.

I have some confidence that there might be a great deal of possibly credible evidence that could conceivably lend some amount of theoretical credence to such prophecies.

How can something unspecified 'certainly come true'. Truth

and proof are specific. Your logic is a bouquet of pretty flowers that smell bad.

Whim and chance. And as we all know, God doesn't play with dice. He's more of a baseball man, from what I hear.

Excuse me. I have to go now. There are four horsemen at my door. Apparently I owe them a quart of wheat for a day's wages.

.

Source(s): No! I never touched your oil OR wine!
  • divina

There is an author; Josh McDowell, who wrote several books specifying these unspecified prophecies.

"Evidence that demands a Verdict"

"Reasons"

and

"Answers."

Could you explain which prophecies you are referring to? I am interested.