Will my external hard disk break down if I store too much data in it?

Will my external hard disk break down if I store too much data in it? My external hard disk is almost full. However, I kept trying to store more data. Suddenly all the icons of my files in my external hard disk dissppeared. However, it showed that there is only 5MB left. But I can't find any of my files. They... show more Will my external hard disk break down if I store too much data in it?
My external hard disk is almost full. However, I kept trying to store more data. Suddenly all the icons of my files in my external hard disk dissppeared. However, it showed that there is only 5MB left. But I can't find any of my files. They are all missing. Then, I unplugged the external hard disk . Now my laptop can't detect my external hard disk after I plugged the hard disk drive back into the laptop.My external hard disk has been making some " sizzling sound " and very hot .
However, my laptop can detect my friend's external hard disk.

Question 1) As the title question
Question 2) I really wanna recover all my files. Should I take into the data recovery specialist? Or I reapair it my self ?
Question 3) I believe I haven't dome anything wrong to my external hard disk. Why do I deserve this ? Can this be avoidable?

I 've just bought my external hard disk for several months. It's name is Maxtor OneTouch Mini4 ( 160GB)
Thanks