Devt asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Puppy Diet Nutrition Pekingese?

What's a good diet for a 5 month old Pekingese puppy? The vet put her on Puppy Chow twice a day with milk in the morning. Is this ok, and what quantity would be best?

Update:

Thank you all for the helpful answers.

As far as the quantity, simply following the portions on the bag should be fine?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Fetch!
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

+All dog foods are not created equal. There is a huge difference in ingredients, quality of ingredients and company standards. When wondering what to get or comparing your current food it is best to do as much research as possible.

Your options are a raw diet, which is one of the greatest diets for dogs. To learn more go to www.barfworld.com. Raw really means nothing cooked; meat, bones and organs. This is not to be confused with allowing your dog to eat cooked bones, cooked bones are harmful, raw bones are not. This is the dog’s ancestral diet. If you think a dog should not be eating raw meat, go back and study wolves. Ask yourself what year was dog food made and then how long have dogs been around without our help of over processed dog food and gravy.

Another option is kibble and wet food. You can do both or just Kibble, but avoid doing just wet food. Feeding Kibble 2x a day 12 hours apart and wet food 2x a week in place of 1 feeding of equal calories is a good balance. DO NOT OVER DUE WET FOOD> When you are looking for a healthy dog food it is important that not only the kibble be high quality but the wet food, treats and chews be high quality as well.

Foods to avoid: Pedigree, Beneful, Purina, Iams, Nutro, Alpo, Ol Roy, Mighty Dog, Ceser, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Purina, Royal Canin, Eagle Pack (not to be confused with Eagle Pack Holistic) and of course all grocery store brands of dog food!

These foods have low quality ingredients that can cause allergies, diabetes, bloat, overweight, oily skin, excessive and or runny stool and a myriad of other problems.

Most of these brands are owned by companies like Del Monte, Proctor and Gamble, Mars and Nestle. Do you really believe that a company like Proctor and Gamble who makes beauty products, household cleaning supplies, baby items,prescription drugs and many others is the best suited company to make quality products for dogs? 50% of Mars is pet food, 45% is unhealthy snacks like candy bars. Science Diet is promoted by vets who in return make a profit on every bag they sell. Hill's is the largest employer of veterinarians outside of academia. They sponsor many pet nutrition related veterinary school programs and hold seminars and training sessions on the subject of pet nutrition for practicing veterinarians. So of course Hill's is going to say they are the best, they are teaching the vets pet nutrition, they want to make a profit, not healthy cat and dog food. Does this sound like the best company to make dog food? All of these companies have one thing in common, they have the advertising to make you believe pictures of meat and veggies and healthy dogs running around on the commercials is what you will get. Knowing the truth about what is in these foods is devastating.

Quality dog foods: Innova, California Natural, EVO, Karma, Wellness, Wellness Core, Orijen, Canidae, Merricks, Artemis, Taste of the Wild, Nature's Variety, Solid Gold-Barking at the Moon, Go!, Now! and Timberwolf.

Here are several websites to do your own research, which I highly suggest. A lot of questions here about dog’s health problems are a direct result of the food you are feeding. Read the ingredients label on the back, go to the website and see who owns the dog food, look up the ingredients and learn why it is used and what the pros and cons are. Changing to a healthy low grain, no grain dog food will relieve most of your dog aliments and give you a healthier and happier dog.

www.naturapet.com

www.dogfoodproject.com

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1

www.feedmypet.com/dog-food-comparison.html

www.canidae.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill's_Pet_Nutrition

• 1 decade ago

Milk is not a good idea for dogs in general

Puppy Chow is crap food, it really is

Many vets do not spend much time on pet nutrition in vet school other than basic "what foods are poison" an so on.

Look for another food

These are good

Eagle Pak Holistics

Natures Variety

Taste of the wild

Innova

Merrick

Wellness

Orijen

California Natural

Hope that helps some

ADD: Yup just follow the directions on the bag, that should get you started just fine. Every brand has a slightly different feeding amount but you still want to feed twice a day, just divide the daily amount in half for each feeding

Good Luck

• 1 decade ago

You have good answers from the first two people I prefer a raw meat diet and if any dairy use a small amount of yogurt but I only give this to my dogs occasionally.

If I were you and (I am not so I don't know what you have available) I would look into a natural food with low grains and natural preservatives. I chose innova puppy for my puppy before I commited to raw feeding but there are other good healthy brands

• 1 decade ago

Puppy chow isn't a very good dog food. I would suggest you go to the website below and click on reviews, and choose a dog food that is atleast a 4 star dog food. Good luck!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I have a Pekingese that is now 10 years old. MILK? Never herd of that one. Never fed mine Puppy Chow. Ive always gotten her cheap brands of puppy and dog food and for some reason her stomach cant take canned food. She likes the mini bites food because she can eat it better. Stick with water and just get what food you can afford or prefer. They are wonderful dogs and mine is trully part of the family. :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Milk? That can make your dog sick. Puppy chow isn't the best food out there. www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a great place to check out dog food.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Here is a site that will show you which dog foods are the best and the worst. I suggest that you get any one of the dog foods that are top rated.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Most of grocery store dog food formulas, like IAMS, Pedigree, Science Diet, Purina,and etc contain "meat and bone meal" which has been known to contain dead dogs and cats that were euthanized in animal shelters. Their bodies are picked up and bought by the truck load by "rendering plants" , that also pick up road kill, dead live stock, and etc. They are shredded, and boiled. They skim off the fat on the top of the "soup" and collected it and sell it to pet food companies as "animal fat", the rest of the animals' remains are crushed up, dried and sold to dog and cat food companies as meat and bone meal.

You can read more about it here.

http://earthislandprojects.org/eijournal/fall97/fe...

Here is an article where the owner of a rendering plant talks about it. He says that cremating the dead shelter animals would cause pollution, and that rendering them is good.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m5072/is_12_...

Here is further information on what you shouldn't see in the ingredients list in your dog's food.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badin...

Top rated dog foods like Canidae contain good healthy ingredients.

The raw diet , which is also known as the B.A.R.F. diet is also another great option. Here is information on getting started on it.

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

• Linda
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

meat

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.