What is the difference between the FBI and the US Marshalls?

What is the difference between the FBI and the US Marshalls? Do they have different jurisdictions?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The FBI is responsible for 1)counterterrorism, 2) counterintelligence, 3) cyber crime, 4) public corruption, 5) civil rights, 6) white-collar crime, 7) organized crime, and 8) major thefts/violent crimes.

U.S. Marshals are the nations primary fugitive-hunting organization in charge of capturing anyone considered a "fugitive".

According to what I have been able to find out, a person can apply to the FBI. U.S. Marshals are appointed--by who? I haven't been able to determine.

I suggest you write to the U.S. Department of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20530-0001 to get a more comprehensive explanation of the FBI and the U.S. Marshal's service.

• 4 years ago

I think main duty for Marshalls is to go after fugitives. FBI can do that too, but FBIs investigate federal crimes and not just focus on ran away fugitives.

• TCSO
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Each are responsible for enforcing different federal laws or regulations.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is primarily an investigative agency.

The US Marshal's Service provides security for federal courts, hunts down fugitives, and does some transfer and custody of federal inmates. They also do some investigations, especially as they relate to seeking out wanted persons. (The Bureau of Prisons actually maintains and operates facilities to incarcerate the inmates.)

• 1 decade ago

The FBI investigates crimes

The US Marshalls oversee and maintain custody of prisoners and criminals

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • the fbi investigates crimes federal crimes the marshalls excort prisoners and hunt down fugitives

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.