Why do people take pride in the Confederate flag ?

My girlfriend and I were having a discussion about the confederate flag and I brought up the point that people take pride in a flag that represents people who betrayed their country. How can they call themselves Americans ? BTW I'm not racist my girlfriend is very much White/Native American I'm just looking... show more My girlfriend and I were having a discussion about the confederate flag and I brought up the point that people take pride in a flag that represents people who betrayed their country. How can they call themselves Americans ? BTW I'm not racist my girlfriend is very much White/Native American I'm just looking for some insight on the subject.
Update: well does any one remember the Nuremberg Trials. As i remember the Nazi commanders that carried out the slaughter of millions of Jews,Then during the trials the courts ruled that they were still responsible and they were all executed. It still wrong because the Union well as the south used common people. If it... show more well does any one remember the Nuremberg Trials. As i remember the Nazi commanders that carried out the slaughter of millions of Jews,Then during the trials the courts ruled that they were still responsible and they were all executed. It still wrong because the Union well as the south used common people. If it should be considered right then the Germans should have pride in the swastika too.