What's your opinion on Lexus Cars?

Tell me what you think about them, etc.

Favorite Answer

I hold them in highest regard. I have driven BMW (great engine/transmission, had 2); Mercedes (snob appeal, resting on their laurels, treated me like an idiot , had 3 of them) and have had 4 Lexus autos.

Some people say they are MB knockoffs or wanna be's. They may be but they have done a better job of providing what MB was supposed to provide than MB did (read Consumer Reports, check out their reliability ratings and their best buy recommendations.

Lexus has better fit and finish than BMW, it's more luxurious Better reliability than most MB. The Lexus has better ergonomics (things are where they should be and easily used) than either the MB or BMW.

I could go on but one other thing: value for the money. I don't think any auto provides more than the Lexus.

If this is just an opinion poll that's my opinion. If you are considering owning one, you really need to go drive all your choices and think about how much time you will spend in the car. Set aside snob appeal or length of time in business and focus on the car. I think the choice will be obvious.

BTW, Scharf (following contributor) is right on in the sales/service area. As I said, the folks at MB used to treat me like an idiot for suggesting something was not working as it was supposed to work. As it turns out, I was right.

Source(s): Multiple Lexus owner wag

We've owned Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Audi and Infiniti. Comparing the Lexus to the others, here is what I feel.

Mercedes: Mercedes does a great job on the feel of the car. Interior materials and design is tops. Suspension gives you a great feel and isolates you from the road - incredible mechanical engineering. Easy to drive. You don't feel fatigued after hours behind the wheel. Some parts are very reasonable, others are horrendously expensive. Labor is high. Lexus beats Mercedes in reliability, cost of ownership, resale value and maintenance. Mercedes beats Lexus in performance, driving, interior, exterior styling (my opininon) and easy to drive. I also feel safer in the Mercedes. I think Lexus is shooting for Mercedes.

BMW: More of a performance car. If you want to feel the road, this is the car. Great drivers car. Can't compare it to a Lexus. Cost of repairs is high. Maintenance gets really high as you pass 100,000 miles. As they say "the ultimate driving machine".

Jaguar: Jaguar just feels good. So sexy! Great comfort. Seats are to die for. Leather everywhere! Ergonomically a nightmare, but who cares? Looks great - make that phenomenal! I love my Jaguar (s). They make funny noises, dash lights come and go randomly. Sounds like an airplane when driving on the freeway. No major repairs yet (116K on one we no longer own and 59K on the other). Maintenance is expensive. Parts are expensive. Quirky, but what a dream car. No comparison to Lexus - aimed at two different markets. We had an XJ (gone now) and currently own an XJ Vanden Plas.

Audi: Some people love Audi. I prefer BMW to Audi. Both are good driving machines, but BMW does a better job. In bad weather conditions, the Quattro system is incredible. Nobody has an all wheel drive system as good as Audi. I don't think you can compare Audi to Lexus either.

Infiniti: Love the power! Had an M45. BMW out handled and out drove the M. The M would walk away from our 540i, but had to slow around corners. Hard riding suspension that is not designed right. Lots of problems with the car. I think Lexus beats Infiniti hands down. I made the mistake getting an Infiniti vs another Lexus. When the Jaguar starts costing us too much in repairs (hopefully won't be for a long time), we're going back to Lexus. ES, GS, LS - any will be fine with me. We still have the BMW which fulfills my needs for driving performance, so a super reliable car will be a good match (Lexus).

In a nut shell, Lexus produces the finest luxury automobile in the world. The only downfall is that they feel more like appliances than a car you love (personality). I think the Japanese have engineered this car to perfection, but they forgot one of the ingredients - in this price point you want to love your car. People who own European cars have a love hate relationship. They love the car because the feel/drive so well. They hate the cost of ownership, depreciation and reliability issues. I don't know anyone who can say they love the character of their Lexus. They love the reliability, smoothness, quiteness, etc. For those who say they love the luxury, they haven't experienced a Mercedes or Jaguar. Lexus cars look nice, but they lack the class of a Mercedes or Jaguar. They don't perform like BMW's or Audi's. So, it depends on what is important to you. Do you want the ultimate driving machine, the ultimate luxury vehicle or the best engineered luxury appliance on the road.

Good luck with your decision.

Greg

I hope this helps.

Greg

• Scharf

I have an 05' ES330 and I love it to death. Price was completely affordable and i personally hate sales! Sales people seem to me like they are soooo great in the world. But shopping at lexus was enjoyable. I was treated with as much respect as someone would purchasing a brand new 80k lexus. And when i go in there, the manager of used sales always comes over to me and asks me how i am doing and treats me great! I most likely will buy another lexus after a few years of owning this one. I have known ppl who have bought BMW and hate the service and say they are treated terrible. As for MB, i dont think they hold up as well as Lexus. toyota engines are #1 and need almost no major work if you treat it well.

I just love how you dont need to spend a ton of money to own a Lexus either!

I have a 2006 GS430 and love it! It is very comfortable ( I am a sales rep so I am in the car alot!) and beautiful.

Lexus actually gave me 4 new tires after 7000 miles, due to wearing improperly.

I highly suggest test driving!

relies upon on the way you seem at it, in case you're searching for overall performance than easily you will desire to bypass with a BMW. yet once you're searching for convenience and reliability than its a Lexus. For the different motives, then you definately i think ought to get a Mercedes or an Audi.

I think they are one of the most reliable cars out there.

However, if anything does go wrong with your Lexus, everything is so expensive.

historically, Lexus is the most reliable brand of car on the market. If you take care of them, you should get 300K miles, easily.

That's an interesting question

• Sang K

Overpriced crap.

Later models engines has design flow that causes oil sludge in the engine. Lexus now has 100K engine replacement program (Will replace the engine for free) but only applies to the original first owners.

they are comfortable to drive, but when you work on these cars, design flows everywhere. Right down to that 12mm brake caliper mounting bolt. (Mechanic's worst nightmare is this small bolt snaps in half - takes several hours to drill it out)

The side way V engine block is difficult to work on, leaving no room for tools. Difficult to work on back cylinder head (Spark plugs, wires, valve cover, oils seal,...) work. They should've used Inline 6 engine.

Their frame less window was just bad idea. Too noisy.

i bought my lexus brand new. it's an 2005 ES330. i love it. it drives smooth and i have no problems with it at all. it is very reliable, besides the routine services i have never needed to bring it in to the dealer. i actually work at a lexus dealership. if you have anyother question please ask!