Do Americans see American lives as more valuable than non-American lives?

From watching the media here in the US, I get this impression. The focus is always on the number of American troops killed in Iraq, even though it was America who invaded Iraq not the other way around! Not to mention the fact that tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians are dead, compared to a few thousand... show more From watching the media here in the US, I get this impression. The focus is always on the number of American troops killed in Iraq, even though it was America who invaded Iraq not the other way around! Not to mention the fact that tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians are dead, compared to a few thousand Amerian troops (who I admit are innocent victims themselves in many ways). Do Americans really see non-American life as so worthless? Or is it just the media?
Update: "I'm sorry, but it was the Iraqi terrorist that flew a plane into one of our buildings, killing and injuring many"

Are you being sarcastic? Do you really believe this?
Update 2: "Of course. Every other country has the same view, nothing wrong with it." This is certainly not the case. It may be that we all identify with family and countrymen more closely than with others, +but+ you do not see the same ridiculous bias in the news media of other nations. I am from the UK and I... show more "Of course. Every other country has the same view, nothing wrong with it."

This is certainly not the case. It may be that we all identify with family and countrymen more closely than with others, +but+ you do not see the same ridiculous bias in the news media of other nations. I am from the UK and I can assure you that the huge number of innocent Iraqi deaths has always been a bigger story than the small number of British troop deaths. Thats not because we don't care about our troops, it's just keeping things in some kind of perspective.