Is spaghetti sauce safe to eat during this tomato-salmonella scare?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

As long as the Spaghetti sauce is from an UNOPENED jar, and the lid "pops" when you open it, since the jars are sealed under pressure, you have nothing to worry about......

Fresh tomatoes seem to be targeted in the Salmonella tainting....

Christopher

EDIT: Since my esteemed colleague, a PhD seems to know everything, please let me clarify: DURING THE *****FOOD INDUSTRY**** STANDARDS AND PROCESS OF JARRING/CANNING, THE CANS/JARS ARE PLACED IN AN INSTITUTIONAL SIZED PRESSURE CANNING PROCESSOR, WHICH DOES EXPEL ALL THE AIR, THUS CREATING A VACUUM IN THE CONTAINER IN QUESTION, THUS KEEPING IT STERILE AND FROM ANY ANAEROBIC ORGANISMS FROM MULTIPLYING IN THE CONTAINER. HENCE, WHEN THE CONSUMER OPENS THE JAR OR CAN, THERE IS AN IMMEDIATE INRUSH OF AIR, BREAKING THE "VACUUM SEAL". My apologies for not copy and pasting the EXACT USDA processing guide here, due to space and time limitations on the reader.

Source(s): I was professionally trained at Le Cordon Bleu.....

Yes, safe. Spaghetti sauce and canned tomatoes and the like are pasteurized in the processing, and that kills salmonella.

• Ruth G

Tomato sauce heated to 140' F is safe to eat. This means that if you bring the sauce just to under the boiling point and then lower the heat, the sauce will be safe to eat.

• Jenn

Yes the tomato scare was with tomato's from McDonald's and walmart they were fresh tomato's not sauce

Yes, and I think this whole "scare" thing is crap. Just wash your vegetables right, and stop worrying. The tomato farmers and their families should not have to suffer for one or two idiots who forgot to clean their food properly.

To everyone including Christopher the jars or cans of tomato sauce are sealed "under" vacuum not pressure. If there is pressure in the can, it means there are bugs growing and producing gas.

The spaghetti sauce is safe because it has been thermalprocessed in a retort at high temperature and pressure.

PhD Food Chemistry and Nutrition

Yes the scare only applies to raw tomatoes.