What causes earthquakes?

What causes earthquakes?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Ok I'll try to answer this as simply as I can:

The earth's crust is made up of several different plates (tectonic plates) which cover the hot mass of magma known as the mantle. Earthquakes usually happen around where the edges of these plates meet (plate boundaries). Earthquakes often happen when two or more plates rub together at the boundaries.

Some of the more severe earthquakes happen when the edge of a plate at a 'destructive' plate boundary snaps. Destructive plate boundaries are where the edge of one plate is very, very, very slowly moving under another, melting into the mantle as it goes. As it is a huge mass of rock actually bending and moving under another one, it is under an immense amount of pressure. Sometimes this pressure is too much for the bending plate to bear, and the bending part of it snaps. This causes an enormous earthquake on both plates. An example of this happening is the earthquake that happened in the Andes a while back (sorry but I'm not sure exactly when or where, look it up if you like).

I hope this answers your question.

• 1 decade ago

An earthquake is the result of a sudden release of energy in the Earth's crust that creates seismic waves. Earthquakes are recorded with a seismometer, also known as a seismograph. The moment magnitude of an earthquake is conventionally reported, or the related and mostly obsolete Richter magnitude, with magnitude 3 or lower earthquakes being mostly imperceptible and magnitude 7 causing serious damage over large areas. Intensity of shaking is measured on the modified Mercalli scale.

At the Earth's surface, earthquakes manifest themselves by a shaking and sometimes displacement of the ground. When a large earthquake epicenter is located offshore, the seabed sometimes suffers sufficient displacement to cause a tsunami. The shaking in earthquakes can also trigger landslides and occasionally volcanic activity.

In its most generic sense, the word earthquake is used to describe any seismic event—whether a natural phenomenon or an event caused by humans—that generates seismic waves. Earthquakes are caused mostly by rupture of geological faults, huge amounts of gas migration, mainly methane deep within the earth, but also by volcanic activity, landslides, mine blasts, and nuclear experiments.

An earthquake's point of initial rupture is called its focus or hypocenter. The term epicenter means the point at ground level directly above this

• 4 years ago

Here are the exact words from my book about geology. Most earthquakes are caused by a sudden, violent shift of the Earth's tectonic plates. Rocks at the edge of the plates break underground. The motion spreads out from the break in waves like the ripples in a pond when a stone is dropped. Large earthquakes can be very destructive.

• 1 decade ago

Although the ground we walk on seems solid, the earth is actually made up of huge pieces of flat rock called tectonic plates.

These move very slowly, and where they meet is called a fault.

When the plates rub together, the movement forces waves of energy to come to the earth's surface.

This causes tremors and shakes - and this is what causes earthquakes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The major cause of earthquakes is the release of stress at fault lines. Other causes include volcanic eruptions, metor impacts, or the collapse of an underground cavern.

Source(s): Science Class
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the movement of tectonic plates ungerground, causing many fault lines, those plates may over ride or one may go under the other. however it is, the earth trembles and u have the earthquake.

to intitiate all that, a pressure exerted from the earth's core is what makes the tectonic plates to move in first place.

• 1 decade ago

The moe men in the center of the earth use their hammers to cause trouble.

• 1 decade ago

when little slates of ground start to move up and down that causes earth to move because its not steady and it wont be still.so it causes it to move and make cracks because that part of earth is moving.so earth slates move away from each other.hope it helped.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

God fighting the Devil

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

climate change

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.