BREAST-FEEDING or BOTTLE-FEEDING?!?

i just want to see what people say. i am 8 months pregnant and trying to get more insight...

did u bottle feed or breast feed? what were some pros and cons for you?

• Chase
    Best Answer

You have you make the decision that works best for you and your baby.

I, personally, bottle feed. My husband gets to help with feedings, we know exactly how much our son is drinking, I don't have to deal with the discomfort of breastfeeding, and I don't have to worry about medications I take affecting my baby's food supply. The only real cons are the expense and the bottle washing. I have just as close a bond with my child and my child is healthy, happy, and smart; so not breastfeeding does not affect his physical or emotional well being.

As always a touchy subject....

Keep in mind that everyone has their own opinion.

My daughter was born 14 weeks premature and spent 90 days in the NICU so at that time I felt the ONLY thing I could do for my baby was provide her with breastmilk. I pumped neuroticly for the 3 months she was in the NICU then for nearly 2 months after she came home before it got to be too hard.

Honestly, if my daughter had not been born early I would not have breastfed.

Either way is fine - but just keep in mind that breast feeding is best and despite what they may say formula makers cannot duplicate breast milk.

If you hve the time and supply I would highly recommend breast feeding. Otherwise - do no let anyone make you feel guilty for not!

I breast fed my daughter for 9 months. From all the research I did, I decided it was the best decision for me and my baby. The first two weeks were extremely hard, with the soreness, the milk coming in, and bleeding, and I wanted to give up, but I'm glad I didn't. After those two weeks, it was a breeze. My daughter never had any health problems, not even a cold or ear infection. I think it gave us an amazing connection, because she was totally dependent on me. It also helps you lose the baby weight a lot faster!

On another note, if you are going back to work, pumping breast milk can be a challenge. You will have to find time to do it regularly at work, and I had some trouble with getting enough milk from the pump to store for someone else to feed my daughter when I wasn't there.

Good luck and congratulations on your bundle of joy!

I exclusively pumped for my daughter for 12 months. I would have loved to breastfeed her, but I was unable to. My milk came in very late (8 days and then another 2 days before it fully came in) so I had to give my daughter a bottle for about a week. By then, no matter how hard I tried she would not go back to the breast.

I felt so passionately about giving her breast milk that I was willing to pump for those 12 months. It was very time consuming but I am a SAHM so I was fortunate to have the time. Breast milk is clearly the best for any child. Healthy wise, although formula is good, breast is best. And another reason that is frequently over looked- it tastes much better. Have you ever tasted formula? I have and it tastes terrible. I tried finger feeding my daughter the first two weeks. Finger feeding is using a little tube on your finger in which the baby sucks formula out of. The tube is taped to your finger and it is more like breastfeeding. Well, while trying to finger feed you have to suck the milk to the surface of the tube. Sometimes you get the formula in your own mouth. It tastes terrible! My husband has tried both breast and formula and he said breast milk is far better in taste.

So I wanted to give my daughter the best tasting and nutritionally the best food possible. I wished that I could have breast feed directly, but I did the second best. Formula is good, but it will never be as good as breastmilk. Even breastfeeding for a few months gives your baby a better start in life.

I breastfeed for the first 5 months, and was heart broken when my daughter weaned me.

I had to go back to work (single mom) when she was 7 weeks. I pumped 2x at work, went and fed her on my lunch break and breastfed on demand at home and on weekends.

And honestly, breastfeeding is SO much easier...DON'T HAVE TO MAKE BOTTLES.

She decided she no longer wanted the breast when she was 5 months, which was ok in the respect that I was having a tough time keeping my supply up because I couldn't feed on demand 24 hours a day. I continued to offer her the breast, sometimes she would take it sometimes she wouldn't until eventually I dried up. I didn't have a problem with engorgement from the weaning because she weaned me slowly and I was working and stressed.

Cost of feeding went up because now I had to buy formula, make bottles, sterilize bottles every night. Kind of a pain. Only good thing was I didn't have to have that little second thought of worry about someone saying something to me when I had to feed my child in public. Not that I wouldn't have stood up for myself and told them they could go eat their dinner in the bathroom if it bothered them that much. But who needs the hassle.

As sick as daycare children get...my daughter didn't catch any of the crap floating around until she was 6 months old. did breastfeeding have something to do with that? I don't know. Did I lose weight? Oh hell yeah, until she weaned me and I ballooned up in a heartbeat. Sure came off a lot easier while breastfeeding.

breast feed a boy longer they have much weaker immune systems. My boys were on for 1 year while the girl only 4 months. But if you are a working mom that will decide how long if at all. Even a few months is better than nothing.

I breast Fed.

It's always ready

I don't have to wash extra stuff or carry extra stuff with me.

Pumping early is a great way to store milk so you can go out latter on if you want to. I suggest pumping once a day, morning was my best time, for the first 3 months. Pump on one side while you nurse on the other. Makes it a lot easier.

I nursed right in bed so I could rest or sleep more, and didn't have to get up.

I loved nursing and miss it all the time. Its a great bond.

Feel free to email with any questions.

Source(s): Nursed my three girls.

everyone knows that breast is best. its the gold standard which all formula tries to mimick.

i bottle feed because it was very hard for us. got way too frustrated and just gave up. takes lots of patience. i pump and am able to give him my milk that way. but its a pain. i still have to supplement with formula too.

washing bottles sucks! especially the dr. browns ones because they have extra parts. buying formula is expensive. pumping is very time consuming. with a bottle though, other people are able to feed him, but with breast, you dont need a thing.

if you decide to breastfeed, do lots of research on everything breastfeeding and get good support from a lactation consultant. if you dont or cant, do research on different formulas. there are tons to choose from. good luck!

i breast fed my daughter for the first 4 weeks and then my nipples began to crack and bleed and i even got an infection...so i had to switch to a bottle...and by the time my breasts were healed, she was used to the bottle and wanted NOTHING to do with my breasts lol breastfeeding is better for the baby and it also gives you this bond with your child that is so great...but for me it was very painful. i wish i couldve continued to breastfeed but shes been on a bottle for 4 months and is happy and healthy...just try to breastfeed and if you can GREAT but if you cant...dont worry...your baby will be just fine either way!

My wife breastfed our baby until about 10 months and in our particular situation it worked wonderfully.

She always said (and it was really evident) that she enjoyed it very much, and that it made her feel a very special bond with the baby.

On the practical side, we saved a lot on formula, and we didn't have to deal with the hassle of washing, sterilizing and carrying bottles wherever we went.

• hstris

I nurse and also pump the occasional bottle so grandma and daddy can feed him. I LOVE breastfeeding and think everyone should attempt to do it. If it doesn't work out then at least you know you tried.

Pros

1. always ready

2. always the right temp

3. exactly what your baby needs

4. less time consuming

5. no bottles to wash

6. inexpensive

7. what your body was intended to do

8. the bonding experience

9. healthier baby

cons...

NONE

EDIT....Johnny's Mommy...I think it is great that you nursed for as long as you could. Any amount of breastmilk is better than none!!!!!