What should I do if I want to keep my job, but didn't show up after the first day??

I was offered an entry level position at a small company (making copies, etc). I'm a young college student, and this is my first time working in this kind of environment.

Yesterday was my first day, and for my orientation they decided to have me and 2 other new employees (experienced) do a group discussion through a conference call. It was with about 20 other people at another location, and their HR officer. They all sounded extremely articulate and intelligent.

I was so intimidated that I had a horrible time answering questions and giving my opinion. It was like a whole new language for me, and I felt extremely inadequate. I stumbled through the whole thing, and felt very discouraged afterwards.

I decided not to show up (so far) today, to avoid having to be a part of another 5 hour conference call.

What should I do if I want to keep the job? My boss is on vacation, and I feel a bit left out in the dark. As far as my actual training went, I like my position and what I'm doing.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, you no called, no showed so you might not have an option to keep your job. I think you should call them immediately and explain why you did not show. I am not encouraging you to lie, but I don't think, "to avoid the conference call that I don't like" is going to help your situation. If you had some other legitimate reason....even "my alarm did not go off" would be better than "I didn't feel like working today, but, no, I am not sick". Then after you have made your excuse request a meeting (in person if possible) to discuss your concerns with the position if they are still willing to work with you.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

tell them the truth.. they won't expect so much from you so quick.. Youre also under-estimating yourself. You sound like you have the knowledge and the motivation to do it. You just have to take a different approach, and that's okay.

• 1 decade ago

YOU sound articulate and intelligent. Trust yourself and get back on the horse.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You don't have a job anymore.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You blew it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.