What should I do if I want to keep my job, but didn't show up after the first day??

I was offered an entry level position at a small company (making copies, etc). I'm a young college student, and this is my first time working in this kind of environment.

Yesterday was my first day, and for my orientation they decided to have me and 2 other new employees (experienced) do a group discussion through a conference call. It was with about 20 other people at another location, and their HR officer. They all sounded extremely articulate and intelligent.

I was so intimidated that I had a horrible time answering questions and giving my opinion. It was like a whole new language for me, and I felt extremely inadequate. I stumbled through the whole thing, and felt very discouraged afterwards.

I decided not to show up (so far) today, to avoid having to be a part of another 5 hour conference call.

What should I do if I want to keep the job? My boss is on vacation, and I feel a bit left out in the dark. As far as my actual training went, I like my position and what I'm doing.

Favorite Answer

Well, you no called, no showed so you might not have an option to keep your job. I think you should call them immediately and explain why you did not show. I am not encouraging you to lie, but I don't think, "to avoid the conference call that I don't like" is going to help your situation. If you had some other legitimate reason....even "my alarm did not go off" would be better than "I didn't feel like working today, but, no, I am not sick". Then after you have made your excuse request a meeting (in person if possible) to discuss your concerns with the position if they are still willing to work with you.

tell them the truth.. they won't expect so much from you so quick.. Youre also under-estimating yourself. You sound like you have the knowledge and the motivation to do it. You just have to take a different approach, and that's okay.

YOU sound articulate and intelligent. Trust yourself and get back on the horse.

You don't have a job anymore.

You blew it.