promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesOther - Arts & Humanities · 1 decade ago

What does "Art is what you can get away with" mean?

Update:

It comes from Andy Warhol btw

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The phrase isn't originally Warhol but from the Canadian philosopher Marshall McLuhan, "Art is anything you can get away with."

During the peak of contemporary art, art became something to go "against art" or "show society". It was probably sparked by cubism beforehand. Look up Dada art or performance art, probably the most prominent in that period which was basically a school of artists who decided that they'd take ordinary objects and put it in a gallery to make it art purposely to show that it was art.

Though the statement might've been somewhat of a mock on art, but it was true and Warhol definitely embraced it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you think about it, Art is the only thing that has no rules. Any normal rule is completely bypassed by it. Whether its nudity, mass murder, making fun of an important figure, mutilating some important phrase, monument, person, or whatever.

That can also mean something else, too. It could mean the way you feel free when you are making art. You can release all your emotions without disturbing anybody. Unlike music, which is relatively the same way, anybody can make art, whether it's a little stick guy, or the Mona Lisa, art is art is art. It is absolute and total freedom with no rules and no boundaries.

Hope this helps.

• cobra
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I'd put that quote in the context of contemporary U.K Art. Super rich Charles Saatchi bought lots of putrid stuff by Damien Hirst, Tracy Emin etc. Because he paid loads of money, he legitimised their work and helped to make them famous artists, who then could basically do anything and sell anything. Tracy Emin got away with flogging an unmade bed and an embroidered tent. All you need is a good patron, a gullible gallery and anything becomes art. Look at Marcel Duchamp exhibiting a urinal. People are mugs.

• PK
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

In my interpretation, I think it means that if you sculpt a naked man sitting on a rock contemplating life and wonderness of being...you can call a naked man sitting on a rock "art". Of course that can also be applied to some of the modern art as well. The only way you can get away with something like burning the U.S. Flag in a garbage can is to call it "art." Personally, I put that kind of art up the with John Wayne Gassey's...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It means some people actually like art and feel it is important.

Others feel that if you lable it art you can do anything. Like that guy who took pedophile pictures of underage children and teenagers naked and called it art and the police had to let him show these illegal pictures. What a great day for pedophiles everywhere. B/b it was called art. Therefore, "Art is what you can get away with"

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

If you are a newbie searching for some simple DIY landscaping concepts to get you going you will not be disappointed if to get it from right here https://tr.im/fBcxU because learn it from pictures is much less difficult rather than reading paragraphs.

This package is certainly perfect for any landscaping skill degree. The diagrams are comprehensive for straightforward set up; the images are of superb good quality and are in total color. With its dynamic and wide assortment of garden types, inventive themes and additional components, the package is incredibly organized as effectively as consumer pleasant. There are fresh tips and suggestions on every little thing from Japanese garden to pools.

The package from Ideas 4 Landscaping is the best on the industry.

• 1 decade ago

I think it probably means that you push the envelope as far as you can with whatever your particular art may be. At some point, the public isn't going to "get it" so that's the point you can no longer get away with it. That's just my interpretation. I'm sure there are some art experts out there who will have better explanations.

• 5 years ago

It means art is not a "real" thing to do. It does not require any real hard work and you can make a living out it by practically doing nothing, for example; a photographer does nothing but click a few pictures of something that s already there and can still get away with it. There are some forms of arts like painting or creating designs, poetry and writing that require actual hard work but most of the time, it s something just about anyone would do to kill time So, yep :)

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

informative and this offers me better knowledge on the subject

• 1 decade ago

it means that you can do anything draw anything and make any thing

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.