Should our brave young men continue to die in Afghanistan? Or would it be better to legalise 'hard' drugs?

They are supposedly there as President Karzai is not tackling corruption and the drug barons who, we are told, finance terrorists,the Taliban. If hard drugs didn't raise so much money, perhaps the poppy growing farmers would grow food instead and the drug barons would lose their lucrative business. Addicts... show more They are supposedly there as President Karzai is not tackling corruption and the drug barons who, we are told, finance terrorists,the Taliban.
If hard drugs didn't raise so much money, perhaps the poppy growing farmers would grow food instead and the drug barons would lose their lucrative business.
Addicts are going to get the money to fund their habit somehow, any how, by fair means or (usually) foul. So less crime might be the result too.
And our boys could come home.
Update: The Ghost, I hope your son stays safe and returns to you soon.
J K has answered your points better than I could.
Update 2: Lachlan W, despite the unpredictable climate cereals are cultivated. Production is rising.
Fruit and nuts were exported.
There is natural gas, marble, gold, copper, precious and semi-precious stones.
With encouragement, help with supplying clean water these things could make it a prosperous country
Update 3: Lady Moon, but if drugs weren't 'underground' and could be bought legally, surely the price would fall.
Update 4: Star Gazer, I admire your work and appreciate your views. Good luck to your 'clients'.
Update 5: Jason S, read Star Gazer's post.
Update 6: Mathew B, read Ivan R.
Update 7: Well, I have read and read, but cannot choose. So much truth and sense here. Will read again tomorrow, but maybe let voting choose.
Update 8: Ernie F, interesting and enlightening.
17 answers 17