Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

Why do people not vote for independent candidates?

I hear people all the time say, well I'm voting for the better of 2 evils. Like in 2000, my father said he didn't want to vote for bush, but voted for him because he hated gore even more! I said, well why didn't you vote independent like i did and he said because he didn't want to throw away his vote. I said, its not throwing it away. The Constitution doesn't say you have to vote for one of the 2 party's. I voted for Ross Perot in the 90's, (and I'm a liberal), and i voted for Ralph Nader in 2000. And will be voting for him this year. If everyone voted for an independent candidate, then they would win! Duh! I refuse to vote for someone of the 2 party's. I would rather vote for a die hard conservative who's an independent than a liberal who's a democrat.

Favorite Answer

Because the majority only votes for one or the other and if someone voted for a party that has barely any stand with the rest of America, they'll most likely feel like their vote will not count. I'm sure if the media gave more attention to Independents or Green party candidates people would vote more towards other parties. But since media outlets are either labeled conservative or liberal, they tend to stick with what they know best, Democrats and Republicans.

Source(s): Torin: i think you posted on the wrong question

I've asked people why they don't consider the other independent candidates as opposed to the two major parties. They say "Well I vote for who I think at least has a shot (at winning)." How is an independent candidate going to get a shot if more people don't educate themselves on the choices and vote for them as opposed to republican or democrat? Vote the issues and the candidate's plan not the party!

solid question, and right this is the respond: the two Republicans and Democrats love having in basic terms one enemy, especially interior the presidential elections. the two-party equipment is desperate up in one in all those way that for the time of basic terms Democrats and Republicans can get their applicants on the pollin each and every state, so balloting for a third party or self sufficient candidate is a waste of your vote by means of fact we immediately know they are in a position to't win if their call isn't even on the pollin different states. additionally, our media likes to ask in basic terms the appropriate Republican and Democrat applicants to televised debates, making optimistic to circumvent giving exposure to different events or independents. the concern is the regulation makes it too confusing for Independents and third events to get their applicants on the poll, and this is achieved intentionally. in keeping with possibility some day the regulation will substitute so as that different events could have a trustworthy possibility, yet no longer while the appropriate 2 are those in charge of becoming such rules.

Because it's too confusing for "Joe Sixpack" to think of more than 2 parties. Hell, "Joe" hasn't even READ the Consitution, let alone understand how an election actually works. Most Americans don't even know that their money is REQUIRED by the Constitution to be gold OR silver. Not Federal Reserve "Monopoly" money which is backed by NOTHING.

The average American thinks that "The Articles of Confederation" (if he has ever even heard of them at all) were written by the southern states when they seceded. The average American thinks that the war between the States was fought over slavery (which didn't even become a moderate issue until 1862)!

I love my country. I have literally fought for, bled for, and killed for this country (in the military). But the average American makes me sick with his blatant, willful ignorance. Elections being stolen by electronic machines which we have proven hackable for years? Who cares? "American Idol" is on!

The mainstream media has a label for people who vote outside the box: "Kooks wasting their vote."

Unfortunately, a super majority of the people believe every word of it.

Eliminate Yeast Infection Fast : http://yeastcured.uzaev.com/?WkRu

It's because of tie-dye head scarfs