Whats the best buy for the money a 8800GT or a 9600GT. memory etc being equal. which is more stable?

Favorite Answer

I would recommend the 8800 GT. The main difference between the cards is the stream processors.

Even thought most of the 9600 cards have a slightly higher core clock, the stream processors are what will make more of a difference in performance.

The core clock of the 8800 can always be over clocked and remain stable.

Dollar for dollar the 8800GT is a better buy.

Like the other comment said, the 8800GT is a better buy that the 9600GT. You have to remember nVidia release the 9600 series to replace the 8600 series (and of course compete in this segment with their arch-rival ATI). Only the new 9800 GTX2 beat the 8800 series in power.

Now, if you allow me more recommendations, if your budget doesn't let you get a 8800 GTX, I would stay with the 9600 GT in SLI (meaning two cards). If you can get the 8800 GTX, do not hesitate to do it!

8800 gt kicks ***!