When you flush in your corner of the world, does the water swirl clockwise or counter-clockwise?

You may take a few extra minutes on this one.

I'm particularly innarested in other countries like Australia that are South of the Equator.

Favorite Answer

actually the famed coreolis effect does not affect the swirling of the water.

it's a myth to believe that water always goes clockwise above the equator and counter clockwise below.

the coreolis effect does exist but it mainly works on a flat and completely even surface. if you check your sink or toilet you'll see that they are not flat and usually not completely even either. that effects the swirling of the water a lot more than the coreolis effect

Clockwise

The opposite of you guys Dave, Clockwise, from down here in New Zealand.

I have seen it proven in an experiment, and it will occur visibly within metres (yards) of the equator.

They just used a shallow plate with a hole drilled in it.

On the Equator itself there was only the slightest clockwise movement.

• Tony M

Clockwise here in the Northeastern part of the United States.

UK, North of the Equator: It was purely in the interests of science and research, I hope you realise (not, heaven forbid, that I am sad and should get a life), that I conducted this little experiment. I can say, without fear of contradiction (I am alone in the house), that the water in my toilet goes down in a clockwise direction.

Will my contribution to your findings be credited in your Nobel Prize dissertation? Just wonderin' .....

counter clockwise

clockwise in the land down under!

• LOL I think it's clockwise, but I haven't pay much attention to that!

People who actually stand around to watch this kind of thing obviously have waaaaaaay too much free time. I have no idea but I'm in North America like you so whatever your toilet does, just put me down as doing the same thing.

i don't care how it does it as long as it flushes. the answer to your??? is clockwise