Which religion do you believe holds more truth - Catholic or Christian?

Catholic or Christian?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Neither because both are Christian

if you mean Protestantism or Catholicism, and I had to choose I would say Neither, because they both believe in the Trinity, an unbiblical doctrine that should have been eradicated during the reformation; very disappointed

Source(s): ST
  • 1 decade ago

Catholicism is Christian, no matter what born-agains try to say. (And many of them are astonishingly ignorant of history and doctrine when it comes to Catholicism and Christianity -- look up "Baptist successionism" on Wikipedia for one of the most egregious forms.) The question is essentially meaningless.

That said, Christianity -- Catholic or otherwise -- is a mix of truth and myth, but somehow I doubt Jesus would be too happy with any form of it. Catholicism certainly denies less of the real world's truth than evangelical Christianity, but neither one is really adequate in that regard. What would Jesus do? He'd be a humanist. (Maybe a secular one at that -- it's really hard to say given the huge cultural differences between then and now.)

Remember, everything that is taught by any branch of Christianity is based heavily on the presumption that literal or not, the Bible is fundamentally true. But the Bible can't be used to prove the Bible (it is not all-sufficient, as Christians would have you believe, nor is any text of any sort self-validating -- one must always have outside references) and it's simply impossible to prove that much of the history of the Bible actually happened. This is all by way of saying that if you are a believer, the more restrictive the church you look at, the less likely it has the truth you seek.

• 1 decade ago

There seems to be a major misunderstanding here. Catholics ARE Christians. We are a branch of Christianity, just like the Baptists, Methodists, and the Church of Christ. In fact, Catholicism was at one time (before the splitting of the Orthodox and Protestant churches) the ONLY form of Christianity. Unfortunately, present-day Christians are trying to bend what they know is the truth, deceiving those around them.

If you don't believe me, do some research. Check a textbook. It's common knowledge.

• 1 decade ago

Catholicism IS Christian. The correct distinction is Catholic or Protestant. Catholicism, or Christianity, was founded by Jesus Christ. Protestantism is simply an off-shoot of the Catholic Church that occurred in 1500. So if you're looking for the original, the one created by Jesus, then you don't have to go any further than the Catholic Church, which has the fullness of the Faith.

God bless.

Source(s): I am Catholic.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Catholics are a denomination of the Christian faith.

Now that you've provoked people into the same old fight over whose dogma is better (very drink worthy, by the way, now I'm going to have to drink more spring water)...

...where in the Holy Bible is any denomination of Christianity mentioned and explained? The word "Christian" is in the Holy Bible, but not Protestant, Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, Seventh Day Adventist, Baptist, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. My point is if we are all Christians let's start behaving like Christians; build each other up with love, encouragement and support. Do you think continually bickering or putting each other down pleases God? Is Christ's death really worth the arguing? Where in the Bible does God say one must be part of this or that denomination in order to enter His Kingdom?

And we all, as one body, wonder why people are skeptical of us.

Peace to all.

• 1 decade ago

First of all, Catholicism is a Christian faith. You are probably referring to Protestant Christian sects not including Anglican, Methodist, or Presbyterian.

I happen to think they're all equally viable religions (and those who claim Christianity isn't a religion need to stop redefining things to fit their desires. That's lying to yourself and others which is a sin, if you recall.) The fact is that nobody can know the mind of God. To claim you know the mind of God is to claim you are God--the ultimate blasphemy. Nobody can know if one of the sects is more correct than the other let alone which one. And anyone who claims differently is a false prophet.

For those stating the KJV Bible is the ultimate source of Christian truth, remember it was made as a Catholic Bible, so please stop the hypocrisy.

Source(s): Religious studies hobbyist.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In the following article an account is given of Christianity as a religion, describing its origin, its relation to other religions, its essential nature and chief characteristics, but not dealing with its doctrines in detail nor its history as a visible organization. These and other aspects of this great subject will receive treatment under separate titles. Moreover, the Christianity of which we speak is that which we find realized in the Catholic Church alone; hence, we are not concerned here with those forms which are embodied in the various non-Catholic Christian sects, whether schismatical or heretical.

Our documentary sources of knowledge about the origin of Christianity and its earliest developments are chiefly the New Testament Scriptures and various sub-Apostolic writings, the authenticity of which we must to a large extent take for granted here, as the much less grounds we take for granted the authenticity of "Cæsar" when dealing with early Gaul, and of "Tacitus" when studying growth of the Roman Empire. (Cf. Kenyon "Handbook of the Textual Criticism of the N.T."). We have this further warrant for doing so, that the most mature critical opinions amongst non-Catholics, deserting the wild theories of Baur, Strauss, and Renan, tend, in regard to dates and authorship, to coincide more closely with the Catholic position. The Gospels, Acts, and most of the Epistles are recognized as belonging to the Apostolic Age. "The oldest literature of the Church", says Professor Harnack, "is, in the main points and in most of its details, from the point of view of literary history, veracious and trustworthy . . . . He who attentively studies these letters (those i.e. of Clement and Ignatius) cannot fail to see what a fullness of traditions, topics of preaching, doctrines, and forms of organization already existed in the time of Trajan (A.D. 98-117), and in particular churches had reached permanence" (Chronologie der altchristlichen Literature, Bk. I, pp. 8, 11). Other points will, of course, be touched on and other results assumed, which are more fully and formally treated under JESUS CHRIST; CHURCH; REVELATION; MIRACLES.

• 1 decade ago

The Catholic religion IS a Christian religion. The Catholic religion was the first religion that started with St Peter and then Martin Luther broke away and started the Protestant

Reformation. He wanted to make changes to the Catholic religion to begin with.

• elois
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

to be Christian is to be Christ like or to follow Christ. I'm not catholic but i know some who are and they follow Christ, the Scripture say other sheep that are not of this fold them I must bring also. just going by what the bible says. this journey shouldn't be a competition but a fellowship of brother and sisters

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dang, is everybody going to the same seminar today or what?

For the umpteenth time today:

Look up 1 Timothy 3:15, and tell me where the Bible says you find the truth.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.