Varicella immunity?? I had the chicken pox as a child. I'ts been 20 years....?

and I had blood drawn to check for antibodies for varicella, rubella, measles, mumps, etc and the lab tests say that i am not immune to varicella......I've had the chicken pox. What happened to my antibodies?? Do they fade away with age?

Best Answer

your antibody titers may have sank to below detectable levels, depending on how they did the assay. protective immune responses to varicella, while induced by infection, are not life-long. just like you need a tetanus booster every ten years, the immune system needs a wake-up call every once in a while. the chickenpox vaccine that is available now has been shown to only be good for about 20 years. thus, like many diseases/vaccines, immunity will wane over time, and may explain your results. particularly with varicella, the virus can lay dormant for decades, commonly re-emerging later in life in the form of shingles.

Source(s): PhD in immunology

Two possibilities I can think of:

[1] the lab made a mistake.

[2] it wasn't actually chickenpox, but a related disease that appeared as chickenpox