Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

What army base did you like and why?

I'm trying to figure out what I'll put on my list. For whatever its worth, since they may or may not give it to me, I want to try and find a base near a decent town where I can possibly raise a family after my 3 years active are up.

My wife isn't happy with my choice so I am trying to do anything I can to make her happier. I know she likes to be near the ocean.

my mos is 92y, I can go anywhere.

yes, an accessible ocean is a plus. long winters definite minus.

• Jill C
    Favorite Answer

It really just depends on your personal preference.

Our favorite base is Fort Bragg, NC. Other people think it's the worst base in the military. I happen to like the area. There are plenty of things to do for the kids, the ocean and mountains are not too far, there is plenty of shopping, restaurants, etc. There always seems to be something going on. I love how supportive the community is of the military. Real estate is really affordable. There are plenty of opportunities for higher education. Traffic is horrible and the job market is really competitive, but those are the only bad points in my opinion.

I also liked Fort Lewis, WA for the most part. It is really family friendly (although not so military friendly). There is a TON of stuff to do. It is absolutely beautiful. I just couldn't get used to the weather. I also felt the west coast vibe was much different than the east coast vibe, and I'm just really partial to the east coast.

We've also been stationed at Fort Benning, Ga (the armpit of the military-- please don't request it), Fort Drum, NY (cold, in the middle of nowhere, not a bad base but not somewhere I'd want to raise my family) and Fort Campbell, KY (personally, neither of us liked it there at all, but I know others who love it).

We spent two tours (7 years) at Fort Campbell, KY (although the post is half in TN and half in KY) and really loved it, but there are a lot of people who don't. The winters aren't long at all...maybe 3 or 4 snow days the whole season and the city shuts down when it does. Summers are hot but not too bad. You're less than an hour from Nashville which is really nice whether you like country music or not because it's a big city with all the good things that big cities have. Clarksville is one of the towns just outside of post and it's one of the fastest growing cities in America, so it's not like some posts where you have to drive 45 minutes just to get to a little mall. Tennessee has lots of outdoorsy type things like camping and hiking, there's an OHV park about an hour from Clarksville, and Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky mountains are only a few hours away.

We were at Fort Rucker, AL for a while...it's close to the beach (2 hours or less to Destin, Panama City, Pensacola) but there's nothing else down there. It's 40 minutes to the mall in Dothan and it's a little bitty mall at that. The nearest big city is Montgomery which is about a 90 minute drive.

We're in Germany now and I love it. There no beach nearby but who cares when you can fly to Venice for the weekend? We're in Mannheim but if I had my choice I would be in either Heidelberg or Kaiserslautern. But Mannheim isn't bad...it's better than not being in Europe at all. There's also several bases in Italy that maybe you'd have a shot at.

I hear japan is nice, but i dont believe there are any army there.

Ill give you a rundown on the bases ive been to.

Fort Drum= Horrible, stay the heck away. Snows 11 1/2 months of the year

Fort Hood= Great training facilites, nice base, but didnt like the area or Texas for that matter. Gets pretty hot.

Fort Huachuca(sp?)= In the middle of nowhere.Stay way away from there

Fort Bragg= Really overall crappy base. I wasnt impressed.

Hohenfels, Germany= Lots of training, germany is AMAZING. Try to get stationed there, i just dont know what the deal is gonna be with them closing down so many european bases.

Fort Knox= Tough training, but good. Decent enough base, though i didnt see much of it (went to OSUT there)

So there you have it. I'm probably forgettin one or two but I'd say go to germany or hawaii. Even Gitmo can be nice if you really like the water(ive been told)

Most military bases seem to be located relatively far from large cities. However, I would suggest the following.

Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas.

Pros:

Very big post, but large city with good roads and descent schools and plenty of affordable housing. (Only about 5 hours from the ocean.)

Cons:

Texas? (seriously this bothers some people), hot during summer, no winter.

Hawaii

Pros:

Close to ocean, beautiful landscapes

Cons:

Expensive

Fort Bliss, Texas

Pros:

Very Very big post, large city, El Paso, affordable housing, colleges nearby.

Cons:

Texas?, close to Mexico, (I always felt the town seemed dirty), not near the ocean.

I think Fort Jackson, SC is near the ocean. I did Basic there, so didn't really get a chance to see the town. Nice weather though.

If she likes the ocean, does that mean she likes beaches and the desert?

I liked Fort Bliss, Texas, which is a lot like living in Arizona. It's 8 miles from Mexico. No ocean.

Fort Huachuca, AZ is a desert, but they have horseback riding. No ocean.

Fort Carson, Colorado is nice and green, has horseback riding and is in a very beautiful location. There's no ocean but it's a great place to raise kids. No ocean, but a really nice place to be.

Good luck! :-)

Well, that wish list is pretty much a formality man. You most likely will not go anywhere on it. In Fact, I would bet depending on your MOS you are more likely to go to Germany or Korea. They only way you can be 90% sure to be a certain duty station is be an Airborne MP or Infrantry, then you will have a 90% chance of going to Ft Bragg, which is nice, but you will get deployed a lot!

Source(s): United States Army Military Police Soldier HOOAH!!

Torii Station Scuba Locker

Ft. Carson was nice. Lots to do in the city of Colorado Springs but it isn't near an ocean.

You can check out this site to compare bases and maybe you all can find something to agree on...https://onestop.army.mil/

Hunter Army Airfield is close to Tybee beach. I really didn't care for Savannah but it doesn't have a long winter and near a beach.

Come to Ft. Benning.

Columbus is great town to rais a family after you get out. Lots of shopping malls, subdivsions, really great school districts. Good employment opportunites. Country clubs, golf courses, movie theaters, broadway theaters. Columbus is the 2nd largest city in all of Georgia.

Its 1 1/2 from Atlanta with the largest aquarium in the world, coca cola factory museum, nightlife, six flags, white water park, concert, plays etc.

Its 3 hours from Panama City Beach, FL and Destin, FL which is a great family spot. they have grat deals on beach cabins based on rank--beautiful white sand and clear waters.

I could not have been happier anywhere else. I was raised here as an army brat- Ft Benning has been named best army instaltion in the world numerous times.

now im married to a soldier who just re-enlisted from Bragg to here since we love the town so much.

www.columbusga.com

good luck!

Source(s): Army Wife :)

What i in my opinion like, in spite of the reality that in the process contrast to traditionally precise in any respect, is interior the army Now. it rather is purely rather humorous. this is a extreme high quality ruin between all the different heartwrenching yet solid movies others listed. additionally Stripes,inner maximum Benjamin and robust Morning Vietnam for solid military action picture laughs.