Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

What does "Pick your poison" mean?

I hear it as sayings, or in songs but what does it really mean?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It's an expression that is often referred to when using alcohol, but it can be meant for other things. It's basically saying that you're faced with a decision between a few things that will ultimately kill you over use in the long run, ie. the liver damaging of alcohol, the lung damaging of cigarettes.

• suire
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Poison Synonym

• faim
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Pick Your Poison

• 1 decade ago

The origin is simply that since the mid-19th century "poison" has been slang for alcoholic drink (in Australia a pub was known as a "poison-shop"). This may refer to the Latin root "toxicum" (meaning "poison")of the word "intoxicate", or it may just be a reference ro the bad effects of excessive drinking. Thus the phrases "what's your poison?" "Pick your poison" and "choose your poison" arose naturally. There is no reference to any historic incident, and no connection with Aristotle or Henry VIII, neither of whom was either poisoned, or poisoned anybody! You may be muddling Aristotle with Socrates, who was convicted of impiety by an Athenian court and sentenced to die by drinking hemlock. He had the choice of fleeing Athens or drinking the hemlock - but he didn't get a choice of what poison to drink.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/47/messag...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Pick your poison is to choose between two or more things which are usually poisonous or just simply bad for you.

Example: If I gave you a choice between gasoline and car oil, I would say "pick your poison" as these are both toxic.

Hope this helps!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It means," What kind of alcoholic drink do you want?" I think it came to be during the US Prohibition, when homemade booze (called bathtub gin) became common. Many of these used methanol (wood alcohol) as a base, and that stuff IS poison!

• 3 years ago

Can also mean having to choose between two or more options which are bad for you, whether they are drinkable/eatable or not. For example, if you hate everyone who is running for president, you might say you are being forced to pick your poison.

• 6 years ago

Everyone's wrong.. a drug dealer who deals more than one drug will ask you to "Pick your poison". It can be anything.... from weed to Acid, it comes from twisted Insane's song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dswkknq9k08

Youtube thumbnail

• 1 decade ago

The second answer is right. Pick your poison basically means to pick your choice of alcohol.

I'd have to say... mine's probably cider!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Usually refers to choosing your drink in context of alcohol but the group may have some non drinkers as well so it can be true in case of non alcoholic drinks also

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.