Helping My Parent Quit Smoking HELP PLEASE?

My mom has been smoking for quite a while now and I wanted to know ways I could encourage my mom to stop smoking... I really cant go up to her and ask her to stop smoking... its kinda hard for me so what are some ways I can do it without getting her mad>

Chipmunk that could possibly be never?

Favorite Answer

Does she want to quit, or are you pestering her to quit? There's a difference.

It's not your place to make her quit. She's the parent. You're the child. She's earned the right to smoke. If she wants to stop, she will. Nothing you say, will make her stop. If anything, it will make her smoke more. Just leave her be.

Natural Quit Smoking Magic

I can understand

I had a friend that smokes a lot

and I tried every thing to help him stop

but if he don't want to then you can do nothing about it

sorry

you have make her want to

first step to quitting is wanting to quit. if a person is not ready to quit there is nothing you can do, when i was ready to quit i bought a can of chewing tobacco. and only when i was about ready to die from needing a smoke. i used the tobacco, after 2 weeks of no smoking and chewing only when i really needed to. i was able to stop.

• Bunni

you cant make her stop.

thats somethin she has to do on her own.

but heres some things you can try::::

-show her a picture of a lung infected with cancer....you can find this online. tell her this is what her lung will look like if she continues

-find some facts about second hand smoke. if she doesnt stop for you...idk what to say!!

good luck!

Getting your parents to stop smoking is a very hard task.It took me YEARS to get my dad to stop,I just had to find the right method and attack. It may take a while to do this.Below I listed a few ways to help,I suggest you try each one for a while.And remember,when you get her to stop she will probably getting really frustrated and mean but don't worry after awhile she will stop this,it is a very hard time to go through.

1)Take pictures of you,family,and pets then keep on taping them to her cigaret boxes. Also,you could take pics of heave smokers that look horrible and tape them to the cartons,put up list of names of people who died from lung cancer.

2)Hide the lighters,not the cigs.

3)You said it was hard to talk to her but this is your mother,she is killing herself!Find the courage to sit her down and tell her how you feel. Keep on stating the facts about what cigs do to people, show how you feel not only in words but by facial expressions and all.

4)Go on strike,stop doing activities with her,don't talk to her. Tell her your on strike untill she stops.

Hope I helped,I know I not to good at this but smoking sucks and i had to answer this

Would you rather have your mom mad at you for a short time... or dead - permanently?

Try Tuff Love...

Ask her if she wants to know her grandchildren? See them grow up... and be able to be a part of their lives.

And your life.

I remember when my dad quit. He was having an awful coughing fit. I didn't know it then, but some years later he told me he quit because I had asked him when was he going to die.

my mom - to help her quit, whenever she would take a cigarette would grab a piece of gum instead. than went on the patch. after about a year and half she doesn't smoke anymore.

try to find something for you mom to replace the cigarette with.

Buncha ideas on this site:

http://www.champss.net/helpparentquit.aspx

Heres's another one. It says for boyfriend, but I think you could still apply them to your mom.

http://www.kidshealth.org/PageManager.jsp?dn=chp&l...

Good for you on wanting to help keep your mom around. Hopefully she will respond to your caring and agree to stop so you don't have to lose her to lung cancer at an early age.

she is going to get mad. so look online for pictures of people who smoked for a long time. and different diseases, like tracheotomy's, and lung cancer, show the pic of the old woman smoking from her neck whole, and show old women using oxygen tanks and how young they are. show her how ugly it is and how deadly it is. also show her pics of how wrinkly it makes you and yellow. Show her those pictures and maybe she will understand.