In need of some Help.?

Please help. I need information on a Carrie Woods born in 1864 or 1865 (that area) on March 1. She was born in Ohio. Her father was from NYS. I know she married a man named James/Oscar Harris who was born in 1852. I'm primarily looking for information pre-1900, such as blood family members. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Is this the family you are trying to trace?

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Buffalo Ward 18, Erie, New York; Roll: T623 1030; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 151.

Household Members: Name Age

James Harris 48 Head White male born september 1851 married abt 20 years born in New York father born in Canada mother in New York occupation boat builder

Carrie Harris 36 wife white female born March 1864 married 20 years mother of 7 children, 7 alive at the time of the census born in Ohio father born in New York, mother born in Ohio

Bertha Harris 18 White female born June 1881 in Canada

Harry Harris 15 White male born August 1884 in Canada

Arthur Harris 13 White male born October 1886 in Canada

Herbert Harris 12 white male born January 1888 in Ohio

Mary Harris 8 White female born May 1892 born in New York

Hattie Harris 5 White female born August 1894 in Canada

Kenerson Harris 2 White male born August 1897 in New York

According to the census the first group of children born in Canada immigrated to the states in 1887 and Hattie who was born in 1894 came to the states in 1895.

Here is the family in 1910

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Buffalo Ward 18, Erie, New York; Roll: T624_946; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 175; Image: 826.

Household Members: Name Age

James o Harris 58

Carrie W Harris 46

Mary P Harris 17

Harriett A Harris 15

V Kennerson Harris 12

Kittie F Harris 8

Willis A Harris 4

Here is the family in 1920

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Tonawanda, Erie, New York; Roll: T625_1111; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 336; Image: 402.

Household Members: Name Age

Ostar Harris 68

Carrie Harris 55

Kenerson Harris 22

Frances Harris 17

William Harris 14

In 1930, Carrie was widowed and was living with the family of her daughter Frances who married Elmer Pfonner.

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Tonawanda, Erie, New York; Roll: 1437; Page: 14B; Enumeration District: 463; Image: 370.0.

Household Members: Name Age

Elmer Pfonner 38

Frances Pfonner 28

William Pfonner 9

Carrie Pfonner 6

George Pfonner 4

Richard Pfonner 1

Carrie Harris 62

What does it all mean? Based on the information from the censuses, I would say that James Oscar Harris and Carrie Woods were married in Canada abount 1880 and had their first child in Canada about 1881. Do you know which part of Canada he was from? That would be the best place to center your search. If Carrie was in fact 16 when she married, you will likely find her parents in the vicinity of their marriage. ALSO, they had a child born in Ohio according to the 1900 census. If you can find out where in Ohio he was born, then you might nail down the are of Ohio where Carrie was born. This isn't guaranteed, but it would be an educated guess. If James was a boat builder, I would likely check the counties and cities that line Lake Erie. You will noice that they lived in Buffalo, New York which falls on Lake Erie. A couple of Ohio cities that come to mind are Toledo and Cleveland as possible places to look. Some canadian spots on lake Erie are Port Stanley or Port Erie. Do you have any canadian connections to these towns? Any extra information you could provide may help us help you.

EDIT: I found a family tree online that has Carrie Woods listed as Carrie Woods DUSENBURG . It also lists James Oscars parents as James Oscar Harris and Mary E Bush. If this is the case, then this must be Oscars family in the 1881 Canadian census

Household:

Name Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion

James HARRIS Male English 55 Ontario Church of England

E. Mary HARRIS Female Scottish 55 USA Church of England

Theodor Lorenzo HARRIS Male English 20 Ontario Church of England

Charles Elmer HARRIS Male English 18 Ontario Church of England

Antenett Jenie HARRIS Female English 13 USA Church of England

Babli MOONON Female English 1 Ontario Church of England

May I. MOP Female English 18 Ontario Church of England

Oscar HARRIS Male English 28 USA Church of England

Lillie HARRIS Female English 20 Ontario Church of England

Marion MOP Female English 15 Ontario Church of England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Information:

Census Place Port Erie, Welland, Ontario

Family History Library Film 1375889

NA Film Number C-13253

District 142

Sub-district D

Page Number 1

Household Number 3

This tree also says that James Oscar was married two other times, one was to a Priscilla Ann Moss and the other to Mary E Moss. Apparently, Bertha was the child of Priscilla and Harry and Elmer were children of Mary Moss.. IF this information is correct, then that means that Carrie and James Oscar would have had to have married around 1887 and if I were a betting girl, that would have meant that they would have been likely married in Ohio since THEIR first child was born in Ohio... Also, I would look for a marriage for a Carrie Woods, marrying a Dusenburg. It is funny how this research meshes together to paint a picture, isn't it? If you e-mail me privately, I will send you the contact information of the tree I referenced. This gentleman may be able to help you out further.

Cheers!