Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Can a Giant Squid really eat a human?

Has this even happened before? I hear that Giant squid eat their own so can they eat human?? Anyone know some facts I'm just curious about these big monsters of the sea.

So I know they can kill a human but will they eat them as food if they are hungry?

• Jim E
    Best Answer

From wikipedia:

Feeding

The fabled underwater encounter between the sperm whale and giant squid, from a diorama at the American Museum of Natural History.

Recent studies show that giant squid feed on deep-sea fish and other squid species. They catch prey using the two tentacles, gripping it with serrated sucker rings on the ends. Then they bring it toward the powerful beak, and shred it with the radula (tongue with small, file-like teeth) before it reaches the esophagus. They are believed to be solitary hunters, as only individual giant squid have been caught in fishing nets. Fish such as the Hoki are among the giant squid's diet.[4]

Adult giant squids' only known predators are sperm whales and possibly Pacific sleeper sharks, found off Antarctica, but it is unknown whether these sharks hunt squid, or just scavenge squid carcasses. It has also been suggested that pilot whales may feed on giant squid. Juveniles are preyed on by deep sea sharks and fishes. Because sperm whales are skilled at locating giant squid, scientists have tried to observe them to study the squid.

end quote

Since hoki can be up 4 ft in length it may be possible but I have yet to see any verifiable reports of this happening.

Man Eating Squid

What Do Giant Squid Eat

Giant squid have only attacked the whales because they'd be getting eaten in the process! Sperm whales have the giant squids as one of the staples in their diet. I don't think a Giant Squid has ever killed a human, but it probably could. It might eat it too, but like sharks, would realize they taste nothing like their favourite foods, and spit it out. They only have a beak too, and even though they are large animals, the mouth is small in comparison.

I have seen Discovery divers that have had to leave the waters when squid decided they were food. I think the depth at which giant squid live and the remoteness of their know habitats have kept there from being any known attack. Japanese fishers have caught one or two at like 3200 feet, not normal swimming depth. I know the ability to kill humans exists, and i am sure given an encounter, they would assume humans to be food, but there is virtually no contact between to two species.

• Amy

well alot of ppl say they dont have 100% sure evidence that therer are "giant" squids, they have captured parts of squids that are abornamly big but havnt proven that there is a seperate species of "giant" squids

Its possible with their large hard beaks, but it will never happen because humans can not enter their domain and they can't enter the top of the water column without dying.

Probably but very unlikely.Where did you hear that they are cannibals? Not much is known about them but they are probably fish eaters.They DON'T ATTACK WHALES some toothed whales attack and eat the squid and in the process get some scars.

Oh well I'm very sure that it's possible. I don't know how likely it would be to occur though. That would be a very rare occurance since, we hardly see them.

Interesting argument, but I am not 100% sure