Hero asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Please help! cat has been nueter but still sprays?

my cat, simba, was nuetered AGES ago but he is spraying like mad in our house and it STINKS! i would appreciate any tips or advice as to how to make him stop.

To stormer, i think that your comment is very naieve and that you do not have an idea of what it is like. I just want to tell you that it does not really bother me as i have got used to it but when my dad or another member of the family comes in- they hate it and say the house stinks.

cat lover- thanks for your comment it was very helpful except that we visited the vet and they said that we couldnt punish the cat when he sprayed as this would stress him out even more and then cause him to spray even more due to insecurity! so basically we cannot get him in trouble! its annoying because when you see him doing it you just wanna shout "STOP IT!" lol

Best Answer

I'm no vet, but I have owned cats for a long time (40+ years).

I once had a male feral cat we rescued as a kitten, neutered once he was old enough. He was allowed to go outdoors whenever he wanted. Never had any litter box or spraying problems until around age 12 / 13. He started spraying in our dining room. We finally discovered there was a young tom cat entering into his territory and spraying the bushes (in front of our dining room windows). My cat was just spraying to re-mark his territory. Once we got involved and did stuff to discourage the usurper from trying to take over our cats territory - the spraying stopped. This cat lived to age 16 before he passed away and we never had any additional problems with spraying.

You didn't indicate if your cat has been spraying since he was neutered, or if this just recently started to become an issue. If the latter is true, then maybe you need to do some research outside your house to see if another cat (male / female) is intruding on your cats territory.

*Follow up comment

If your cat is allowed to go outside - you CAN discourage him w/o punishing him. When / if you catch him in the act use a loud verbal "NO" and immediately pick him up and throw him outside (in a snow bank if it's winter time). Doing that a number of times usually will discourage spraying for the heck of spraying. You definitely are sending a message to the cat that what he is doing is wrong.

But you also need to do all the cleaning stuff to get rid of the odor.

Also, cats pee down and spray out (backwards). So if the cat has sprayed the wall, just cleaning the carpet only isn't going to help. You will need to get the odor out of the wall as well. Remember wood is porous and will soak up the spray as well as the carpet. They make products that you can pour on and soak into wood to help remove the odor from wood. It's a lot of hard work to get rid of the aroma from a cat's spraying, but it's necessary. Just getting it to the point where you can't smell it anymore, doesn't mean the cat can't. You have to get rid of all of the aroma to the point where the cat can't smell it anymore.

Yikes, I didn't like the answers of any of the first 3 posters, especially the "touchy human" response. *tsk, tsk*

Maybe I'm touchy too, but I don't like the smell of cat (or any other kind of) urine. Stormy might be okay with it, but most people aren't. And I guess the purpose of asking a question here is to hopefully get it answered, not to be belittled or put down for asking it.

The posts in response from "Izzy =]", "takecare... " and "cat lover" were all good answers. I had a male, neutered at about a year old, that started to spray after a couple years. It was awhile before I noticed it (and still don't understand the "why" as nothing I'm aware of changed, but obviously there was a reason), and it was because of the smell of urine and not because I'd seen him do it.

Have their been any changes in your household? New kids, new animals, have you moved? Is the cat just now starting to spray, or has he been doing it? Have you seen him doing it... you know it's him?

The spray bottle tactic works good if you can catch them at it. And yes, you need to de-smell the areas he's already hit. Make sure he's got a clean litterbox to go in, and you need to make sure it's clean every day. Some cats are real particular about their boxes (and some get more particular as they age), and if not clean will show you their dissatisfaction in many ways... spraying or "going" in other places of the house is just one of them.

Good luck to you, I do hope you can get this resolved. :-)

A question would be how old he was when he was neutered. If sexually mature, and already sprayed, it is a hard habit to change although it should greatly lessen.

One of the things to try and determine is if there are unneutered male cats running in the neighborhood. This could be a territorial thing.

The second thing is to get a black light (UV light) that will show every spot he sprayed, and attack it to remove all scent traces. White vinegar is very cheap and effective. I have posted a link. If the scent is not removed, he will return to the same spots.

The third is to get a squirt bottle and try to catch him in the act, and give him a shot of water from the bottle. That may retrain him.

I am assuming that there are no litter box issues involved here that causes him to avoid the litter box.

• wulf

Neuter him. And perhaps find a new residence for him where he would not "have" to remain outside?? Neutering him is for the advantage of alternative feminine cats too, not just to aid him... There are toooooo many homeless, abandoned and undesirable cats out there... Do not contribute to the over-populace of kitties.... A homeless lifestyles isn't a pleased life for a cat.... Besides... As you acknowledged, he will not run off to find a "lady friend" if you have him constant... And he'll still have his claws, so even with out his you-recognize-whats, he'll be ready to preserve himself.... I believe sorry you're going to just kick the little guy to the curb when you transfer although.... Why not let him stay inside of if he is already an within cat at this factor??? Possibly you'll find him a without end residence with any person who won't make him live external???? Only a notion....

• There is no automatic cutoff triggered by neutering, of learned behavior, especially in a fully developed cat. Although some people have theorized that the cat will stop spraying once the testosterone leaves its body, others have disputed this theory. And sometimes cats will spray indefinitely, even though they have been neutered.

You'll need to completly remove any odor of his previous spraying, as he will return to those spots. (You may have to keep him confined to one small area while doing this [such as a bathroom or utility room].)

Once you've removed all traces of urine odor in the house, get a bottle of "Feliway," which is a pherome-based spray product. It mimics the phermomes that cats use to mark their territory, and makes them less inclined to spray, and is rated highly. You simply spray it on his favorite "marking" surfaces, and because it's considered a "friendly pherome," he'll leave that area alone. Feliway also comes in a Plug-In that will treat a whole room.

my cat has been nuetered but still sprays too. dont worry - its only pee (not sperm) so its nothing to worry about. try spraying him with water everytime he does it and he might learn to stop or do it outside.

hope this helps =]

(by the way ignore the 1st comment, i know what it smells like and its pretty bad. i can understand why you want it stopped!)

Its ok its just marking its taratory its very common in male cats.Most likely you moved its territory without knowing it.Like moving a scratching post or something like furniture he is trying to mark its territorry.

♥Good Luck♥

Source(s): Sister is a pro vet

it doesnt matter if he was nuetered my cat still does it. he is like making his tarritory or something

Source(s): i have cats

Live with it or without the cat.

Just deal with it. It's not the end of the world, geez, touchy human.