Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Survey: I've read the King James' Version of The Bible, and the "Modern English Version," and I want to know?

After reading both versions, is not The Old Testament an "English translated collection of ancient Jewish stories mythologically and fabulistically describing what they have come to believe is their people's history, as passed down word of mouth and by some ancient written scroll texts found and then re-translated to English, and then re-written several dozen times by various feather & ink monk scribes and clergy, who may or may not have transcribed those documents or stories accurately, and by now the "present text" that we read today has been changed countless times over and over, and doesn't that mean that to take it as "eye-witness" infallible testimony, is rather "un-scholastically or common-sensically sound" given the above facts that are irrefutable, and even recognized as truth by religious scholars?

Where's the "fallacy" in my above statements...?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I've espoused that premise for years. I can imagine a campfire with a small family of nomadic goat herders and grampa is there and the kids ask him 'where did we come from?' Now grampa's fairly wise, he knows that kids come from a man and a woman, tracing that back he knows that there had to be an original man and woman that started it all. Where did they come from? Well, man is in charge..... anyway he comes up with the Adam/Eve/Eden story to explain it to the kids. Don't get me started on the Flood or any of the other campfire stories.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Okay, point by point

1) is not The Old Testament an "English translated collection of ancient Jewish stories

true

2) mythologically and fabulistically describing what they have come to believe is their people's history

The fallacy here is that there is no basis for this belief. You have chosen to believe that they are "mythologically and fabulistically describing" persons, places and events, many of which have considerable archaeological evidence supporting the scriptural account. In other words, your belief in this particular matter is contrary to the evidence.

3) as passed down word of mouth and by some ancient written scroll texts found and then re-translated to English,

"re-translation" requires, first, translation. Most modern bible translations, and the bulk of the King James Version, were translated from original language texts, not from a translation.

4) and then re-written several dozen times by various feather & ink monk scribes and clergy, who may or may not have transcribed those documents or stories accurately

This, of course, happened in large part *prior* to any translation into English. We have existing Greek manuscripts from the 4th century (Codex Vaticanus), which contains the original language Greek manuscripts, and a Masoretic Text (Hebrew) from the 11th century, I believe, the Codex Leningradensis (CL). With the enormous number of manuscripts available, scholars are fairly well-able to discover alterations to the texts. This is not inevitable: there *is* the possibility that additions or alterations, particularly very ancient ones, have escaped the detection of scholars. Still, the ability to detect errors by the means of document comparison is quite persuasive.

5) and by now the "present text" that we read today has been changed countless times over and over,

This assertion has no foundation in fact. Comparison of the CL with fragments from the Dead Sea Scrolls, for example, show very few, very minimal variations over a span of more than 1,000 years. Certainly, the word "countless" is not appropriate in any case.

6) and doesn't that mean that to take it as "eye-witness" infallible testimony, is rather "un-scholastically or common-sensically sound"

It is not sound to consider it "unfallible eye-witness testimony", but it *is* sound to consider it "the most authoritative and accurate account available". Admittedly, not the same thing, but still something of value.

7) given the above facts that are irrefutable,

As many have been quite simply refuted, this statement is untenable.

8) and even recognized as truth by religious scholars?

Name one? I mean, one who attests to all of these so-called irrefutable facts that you have listed?

Jim, http://www.jimpettis.com/bibles/

• 1 decade ago

PP, the Bible’s message is clear for those who will read it with an open mind and seek to understand its meaning. The problem comes when people attempt to make the Word fit their preconceived ideas. This is not the fault of the Bible, but of the people who attempt to force the Bible to say whatever they want it to say. Often the disagreement is not so much with the interpretation of the Scriptures, but with the application.

• 1 decade ago

The Torah, as Wiki says: 'They are written using a painstakingly careful methodology by highly qualified scribes. This has resulted in modern copies of the text that are unchanged from millennia old copies.' I am not familiar with the New Testament and its traditions of copying and translating.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

These "feather & ink monk scribes and clergy" that you speak of pray before, during and after they do these translations. The Holy Spirit was guiding their efforts. They are human and there is some room for human error, but I don't think there are nearly as many mistranslations as you think. But you have a question about something you read in the bible, pray about it. God will send you an answer to your question somehow.

• 1 decade ago

The Word of God is a Living Word.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

There are many examples of that... lies can be distorted but the truth remains the same... even if it is understood in different languages and different ways. You might be interested in some of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the ways of the Essenes. Oh our LORD is a wonderful God.

Psalm 150!

best wishes and warm regards...

studying the word of God is health to your flesh and strength to your bones. - proverbs 3:8

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

...and then re-translated to English, and then re-written several dozen times by various feather & ink monk scribes and clergy, who may or may not have transcribed those documents or stories accurately,

should be:

...re-written several dozen times by various feather & ink monk scribes and clergy, who may or may not have transcribed those documents or stories accurately, and then re-translated to English.

• 1 decade ago

It should all be translated anew with babelfish into English then into Danish back to Italian and then for good measure Russian finally into English again.

That version should be adapted throughout Christianity ....hahaha talking in tongues guaranteed.

• Tigger
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Well, by golly the guy does know something after all!

You are right, though what a person believes in their heart, and soul cannot be written so so easily so as for other people to understand it anyway.

• 1 decade ago

Are you kidding? This is the case of any written word bud. I had passed a note in grammar school that had been blown so way out of proportion I nearly had a sex change (ok...just kidding but you get my point)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.