Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

If you dont eat your meat you cant have any pudding ?

How can you have any pudding if you dont eat your meat .

I heard this in a Pink Floyd song , what do you think they meant by this ?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In British schools of the time {and into the early 1990's}, children who were having school dinners were served their main course first, and until they had eaten it all {or as much as the meal supervisors thought satisfactory}, they were not allowed to be served dessert {pudding}.

Over here, dessert is a term usually used in restaurants or among middle - upper class families. Pudding is the more commonly used word.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Meat Pudding

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

If you dont eat your meat you cant have any pudding ?

How can you have any pudding if you dont eat your meat .

I heard this in a Pink Floyd song , what do you think they meant by this ?

Source(s): dont eat meat pudding: https://tr.im/x2YJZ
  • 1 decade ago

It means just what it says. If you recall, it's an adult's voice, and it's a fade out on "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2."

The whole song is about teachers abusing their students, and their students standing up to them. Back in the period where that part of the narrator's life is supposed to take place, it was very common for students to either live at boarding schools or to go to schools where lunch was served. It's just a teacher being abusive. He (the teacher's voice) follows it up with, "You, you behind the bikestands! Stand still, laddie!" Presumably, the teacher has caught someone doing something they aren't supposed to be doing, and he wants him to stand still so he can get over to him and punish him.

I really don't think there's any deep meaning to that phrase, other than, "Eat your nasty lunch or you can't have any desert." That's just the type of thing an abusive bully of a teacher would do--take away the good stuff because the student didn't eat the nasty stuff.

If you think about it, parents, too, do it all the time. Kids have to eat their regular meals in order to be able to have their treats for desert. However, there's a difference between a parent doing it and a nasty teacher doing it. Later on, toward the end of the album, it talks about how the teachers are nasty because their wives are nasty to them. It's just a comment on that whole English school culture.

Source(s): I've listened to "The Wall" regularly since it came out, and pretty much know the lyrics by heart
    • Carol6 years agoReport

All good symbolism contains many meanings to lead one to his own truth.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

At age 11, David Gilmour met Syd Barrett and Roger Waters. The latter attending an all-boys school in Cambridge. Perhaps it was the silence of illicit acts either witnessed or performed behind closed doors that gave rise to Another Brick in the Wall.

Freud based all his model of child development on psycho-sexual stages of development. Therefore one might extrapolate the meaning from an oral sex point of view: ejaculation after fellatio. The members of Pink Floyd wanted to expose the injustice, but were clever enough to keep lyrics within public tolerance.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Are you serious? ...or did you want a funny answer ? :))

Well, the Protagonist of this concept album - Is showing his entire life - and part of his childhood shows how he is given' "Rules" that make him into what he becomes (which is not always a good thing).

The whole album is like that, making him resistant to "feelings" and "communication" and hence, building a "Wall" around himself for Protection against Societies' unpleasantness.

Personally - In this particular case, I agree with having your entree, first -- But, instead of being given the Logic of the importance, to eat a balanced meal, before you eat desert - The Adult who chided him, said it like it was a Fascist Rule with no compromise - as in "Just do as your told" and "don't ask any questions"

Either that or I'm completely - Wrong lol :)

• Great answer Elizabeth! The best! But not necessary to start with...."are you serious?" It is your great answer that demonstrates why this was a serious question and the value of asking it which prompted your insightful sharing! Few if any others saw the connection to "the Wall." Thanks!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Pink Floyd is an English band. Pudding tends to be a generic English term for dessert. If you don't finish your dinner, you don't get dessert. Above reference, check out the movie.

• 1 decade ago

Geez ~ this reminds me of trying to make my fussy eater children eat real food... a battle I eventually lost and lost big! They have been feeding themselves since they were very small ~ meat or not, as long as it's something at least remotely nutritious we're good.

• I think it means that he wont get any dessert if he doesnt finish the sickening slop thats served up in front of him!

Check out the movie The Wall. Wierd, but awesome!

• i think the analogy is that one works their whole lives never really happy (the meat, for the promise of pudding (happy easy life) but the kids are forced on the meat because thats how are society is run. But the rebels will always go for the pudding first because life short to eat all meat&nopudddi

• 4 years ago

It's a lesson in logic and truth tables. If A then B implies If not B then not A. It's a commonly used analogy: "if you eat your dinner, then you get dessert". Does that imply that if you don't eat your dinner, you don't get dessert? That's what the teacher is saying. This is supported by him saying "Wrong, try again!" just beforehand. It's a logic puzzle, "If you don't eat your meat (dinner), you can't have any pudding (dessert)", implies "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your dessert". Nothing profound, but I think Floyd is observing the obvious analogy to punishment by withholding food.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.