Do i have prediabetes??,please read further?

Recently a blood test was taken on me.Its not a FASTING but a RANDOM one.It showed the following:

80-140 mg/dl(normal)---But mine showed 146 mg/dl.

Does this mean I have prediabetes??But many sources over the net says that one should take FASTING blood test for prediabetes symptoms!!,but I have done only RANDOM.

Whats your advice to me on this??

• ww_je
    Favorite Answer

The current diagnostic criteria for diabetes can be fasting readings, a blood glucose tolerance test, or random readings. The latter is usually used to set an index of suspicion, triggering further tests.

You should have another blood glucose test, this time most likely a fasting one. Under those conditions, a reading of 126 or more is now treated as diagnostic. However, it's important to remember that the glucose meters, like all measurement devices, have errors. It's best to take another reading to confirm. Perhaps from a different vial of test stirps, or even a different meter.

Pre-diabetes, usually now called impaired glucose tolerance, is taken to be higher than normal fasting glucose readings, but lower than those which are diagnostic. A reading of 140 (save perhaps just after a meal) is beyond the pre-diabetic value.

After further tests, if you are confirmed to be diabetic, you should not assume the worst. We now know quite a lot about how to prevent the complications of diabetes in almost everyone. Much of this is new in the last few years and is quite different from the urban legends about what diabetes means. They've not caught up with the latest news. It's easiest iif caught early. It's also a nuisance that few are happy with, but diabetes is now almost always fully manageable. Not fun, but manageable.

Diet (eat right, lots of veggies, avoid the sugary stuff as a regular part of your diet (including the soft drinks and the 'energy' drinks), and trans fat (read the nutrition label for real), and exercise. You should be doing this stuff anyway, with diabetes you have a reason and some motivation.

Source(s): See the en.Wikipeidia.org article article on diabetes, and the articles on type 1 and type 2 diabetes also. There are pointers to them in the main article. These are pretty readable, and accurate, if brief... For general healthy stuff to do see the "You: <something>" books by Drs Roizen and Oz. Three titles now, I think. They're well written. and unlike so many of the diet and health books aren't pushing this or that magic solution to <whatever>. They're pretty reasonable for the field, and that's a considerable improvement on the average. The best single book on diabetes I can suggest is Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, which is poorly titled. It's written by a diabetic electrical engineer who was so annoyed by the way his doctors treated him that he became the first patient in history to take his own blood glucose readings. He was still fed up, so he went to medical school, became a doctor and has specialized in diabetic treatment since then. This is, I think, the third edition.

1

Source(s): I Cured My Diabetes : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?OONi

2

Source(s): My Diabetes Cured Completely - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?nbzC

Doctors Reverse Diabetes Without Drugs - http://Help.DiabetesGoGo.com

I realize this will be a difficult stressful time for you! But most of the 'medical' sites I've been to do have a disclaimer that their web site is NOT intended to treat and or diagnose any medical condition!

You're going to have to wait..

Good luck.

Vince

:)

;)

Try not to look online to find your diagnosis (it's hard not to I know), but just wait for what the doctor says