What is the best kind of plant to have in hanging baskets in WINDY West Texas?

I had the most beautiful Petunias hanging on my back patio, watered them, talked to them, fertilized them and the wind beat them up bad. They looked bad but I thought they might make it. Then Thursday we had another horrible dirt storm and they are dried out and no longer revivable. I just want my patio to be pretty with flowers (the ones in the pots on the patio are doing well, but the hanging baskets did not make it)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • papaw
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, after living in San Angelo for the past five years until last year, and fighting dust storms, tumbleweeds, 30 - 50 mph gusts constantly; and after replacing them again & again. the solution I found was to buy some sturdy PLASTIC VINES & FLOWERS, anchored in green styrofoam balls, weighted with lead in the bottom of the basket, and wired in place with floral wire. All it takes is a brief hose-down after a dust storm, and they look like new.

Source(s): Been there, done that (BTDT)
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Umm good question. I live in Michigan and our weather is crappy most of the year...heck I never know when it is summer or winter here. But, I guess I would just get a Chia pet..and some of your tumbleweeds to call your hanging plant. I kill every flowering basket I get. I about give up. But, I can grow come mean fake flowers they seem to be in bloom almost all of the time. And man I can grow some pretty ones and not even have to water them..they are some sturdy suckers. I wish you luck..but I think tumbleweeds might be kinda nice.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's hard to beat a good fern in a hanging basket. Also, I never have seen them in hanging baskets and they may not stand up to the elements that well outdoors but a peace lilly is a very resiliant potted plant also if you ask me.

• 1 decade ago

I found the following link. Scroll to the 3rd answer and you might find some good plants for your baskets.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Try some Ivy Geraniums with some ivy or vinca vine to trail down. Even I can't kill geraniums and all of my plants need to survive on benign neglect.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Petunias! They are hardy and will withstand most of our crazy winds and weather.

Sandy :O) North Texas.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We have a lot of wind up here on our hill. Try marigolds. At least they can give some color and they are tough.

• 1 decade ago

This is only my thought but you might want to try cactus plants.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.