What is the best kind of plant to have in hanging baskets in WINDY West Texas?

I had the most beautiful Petunias hanging on my back patio, watered them, talked to them, fertilized them and the wind beat them up bad. They looked bad but I thought they might make it. Then Thursday we had another horrible dirt storm and they are dried out and no longer revivable. I just want my patio to be pretty with flowers (the ones in the pots on the patio are doing well, but the hanging baskets did not make it)

• papaw
    Favorite Answer

Well, after living in San Angelo for the past five years until last year, and fighting dust storms, tumbleweeds, 30 - 50 mph gusts constantly; and after replacing them again & again. the solution I found was to buy some sturdy PLASTIC VINES & FLOWERS, anchored in green styrofoam balls, weighted with lead in the bottom of the basket, and wired in place with floral wire. All it takes is a brief hose-down after a dust storm, and they look like new.

Source(s): Been there, done that (BTDT)

Umm good question. I live in Michigan and our weather is crappy most of the year...heck I never know when it is summer or winter here. But, I guess I would just get a Chia pet..and some of your tumbleweeds to call your hanging plant. I kill every flowering basket I get. I about give up. But, I can grow come mean fake flowers they seem to be in bloom almost all of the time. And man I can grow some pretty ones and not even have to water them..they are some sturdy suckers. I wish you luck..but I think tumbleweeds might be kinda nice.

It's hard to beat a good fern in a hanging basket. Also, I never have seen them in hanging baskets and they may not stand up to the elements that well outdoors but a peace lilly is a very resiliant potted plant also if you ask me.

I found the following link. Scroll to the 3rd answer and you might find some good plants for your baskets.

Try some Ivy Geraniums with some ivy or vinca vine to trail down. Even I can't kill geraniums and all of my plants need to survive on benign neglect.

Petunias! They are hardy and will withstand most of our crazy winds and weather.

Sandy :O) North Texas.

We have a lot of wind up here on our hill. Try marigolds. At least they can give some color and they are tough.

This is only my thought but you might want to try cactus plants.