Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

How is It possible to conceive in the beginning of march when i had sex at the end of Feb?

My last period was February 10-15 had sex one time raw between February 20-26 and my doctor said i was 7 weeks and 5 days on April 8th but conceived the 1st week of march how is this possible when i didn't have sex with him in march?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your doctor can not give you an absolutely accurate date of conception. The doctor is estimating based on the first day of your last period. But according to this online calculator (see link below), your ovulation day should have been between Feb 21 and Feb 26, so you are right. But once you have sex, it can take a few days for the sperm to actually find the egg, so you could have conceived a few days after having sex. These things are not set in stone and often womens' cycles are not exactly the same every month. It's nothing to worry about.

Not only that, but some doctors calculate the due date in different ways. You can either do it by subtracting 3 months from the first day of your last period and then adding 7 days, or by adding 40 weeks to the date of your last period.

Your doctor will count the weeks depending on how your due date is calculated so you may get a different outcome if you try to count yourself.

But most women don't give birth on their due date anyway and most first-time moms give birth late.

Just enjoy your pregnancy and try not to get hung up on the numbers so much. Concentrate on taking care of yourself and enjoying the little miracle growing in you.

• aljea
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It is just an estimation of when you conceived. Another possibility is, that he is right, you had sex end of feb, the sperm lived a few days and then made it to the egg the beginning of march. Sex and conception are totally different. Sperm live 3-8 days in the body, so it is possible to conceive 1 week after having sex.

• 1 decade ago

Probably because the implantation didn't occur until March. Implantation of the fertilized egg happens 7-10 days after ovulation. If you had sex between the 20-26, the egg would not have actually implanted until March.

• hh
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

conception doesn't really happen immediately when you have sex. the sperm will wait for an egg to be released (the others are right about it living inside of you for several days). once the egg is released, the sperm has to travel to it and fertilize it. then, about 10 days later, the egg implants. it's about a two week process altogether. so in your case, it's absolutely possible and probable that the sperm got to the egg in the first week of march. especially since there were only 29 days in february.

• 1 decade ago

Sperm can live in you for up to 7 days, so even though you had sex the end of Feb. your egg wasn't fertilized until the first of March.

• 1 decade ago

The first answer is correct. Sperm can stay alive for up to 5 days in the right conditions....and sometimes it take a few days for the sperm to reach the egg.

• 1 decade ago

Maybe the doctor is off just a little. Did he tell you your due date from the size of the baby on the sono or did he just go by the day of your last period??

• 1 decade ago

The sperm that carrys the female cromosone can live in you for many days(longer then the sperm carring the male cromosone) which is probally what fertilized your egg. . male sperm are faster and get to the egg to fertilize it sooner but they die sooner. The sperm that carry the female cromosone live longer but swim slow. If he thinks you dident get pregnant untill march it makes sence, and I bet you'll have a girl!

check this site out http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a_difference_in...

• 1 decade ago

the sperm can stay in you for up to like 5 days. and february was a 28 day month right? i think, so that sounds about right.

• 1 decade ago

The doctor can be a week or two off cause they are just "guessing" on when you were ovulating. My due date has changed 3 times cause i hadnt had a normal cycle for three months and we had NO idea when i got pregnant. But if its only a week or two that they are off by then you shouldnt worry! Good luck and congrats!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.