Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why would Hillary Supporters vote for McCain?

I have heard how those supporting Clinton would now be voting for McCain, however this makes no sense to me. The next president is going to be responsible for putting 3 Supreme Court justices on the bench. The next president will have to decide if we are going to war with Iran, and McCain has already stated "Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran". So why would any Democrat vote for McCain?

Update:

Good God so many ignorant people. So the GOP's disregard for the Constitution, torture, and wire tapping on civilians is good for us? Please vote for McSame, it will be on you when this country completely falls on its ***.

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They can't defend this.

September 2007: McCain voted against the Webb amendment calling for adequate troop rest between deployments.

July 2007: McCain voted against a plan to drawdown troop levels in Iraq. At the time, an ABC poll found that 63% thought the invasion was not worth it

March 2007: McCain was too busy to vote on a bill that would require the start of a drawdown in troop levels within 120 days

February 2007: For such a strong supporter of the escalation, McCain didn’t even bother to show up and vote against a resolution condemning it.

June 2006: McCain voted against a resolution that Bush start withdrawing troops but with no timeline to do so.

May 2006: McCain voted against an amendment that would provide $20 million to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for health care facilities.

3 minutes ago - 3 days left to answer.

Additional Details

2 minutes ago

April 2006: McCain was one of only 13 Senators to vote against $430,000,000 for the Department of Veteran Affairs for Medical Services for outpatient care and treatment for veterans.

March 2006: McCain voted against increasing Veterans medical services funding by $1.5 billion in FY 2007 to be paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes.

March 2004: McCain once again voted for abusive tax loopholes over veterans when he voted against creating a reserve fund to allow for an increase in Veterans' medical care by $1.8 billion by eliminating abusive tax loopholes. Jeez, McCain really loves those tax loopholes for corporations, since he voted for them over our veterans' needs.

1 minute ago

October 2003: McCain voted to table an amendment by Senator Dodd that called for an additional $322,000,000 for safety equipment for United States forces in Iraq and to reduce the amount provided for reconstruction in Iraq by $322,000,000.

April 2003: McCain urged other Senate members to table a vote (which never passed) to provide more than $1 billion for National Guard and Reserve equipment in Iraq related to a shortage of helmets, tents, bullet-proof inserts, and tactical vests.

August 2001: McCain voted against increasing the amount available for medical care for veterans by $650,000,000. To his credit, he also voted against the 2001 Bush tax cuts, which he now supports making permanent, despite the dire financial condition this country is in, and despite the fact that he indicated in 2001 that these tax cuts unfairly benefited the very wealthy at the expense of the middle class.

1 minute ago

October 2003: McCain voted to table an amendment by Senator Dodd that called for an additional $322,000,000 for safety equipment for United States forces in Iraq and to reduce the amount provided for reconstruction in Iraq by $322,000,000.

April 2003: McCain urged other Senate members to table a vote (which never passed) to provide more than $1 billion for National Guard and Reserve equipment in Iraq related to a shortage of helmets, tents, bullet-proof inserts, and tactical vests.

August 2001: McCain voted against increasing the amount available for medical care for veterans by $650,000,000. To his credit, he also voted against the 2001 Bush tax cuts, which he now supports making permanent, despite the dire financial condition this country is in, and despite the fact that he indicated in 2001 that these tax cuts unfairly benefited the very wealthy at the expense of the middle class.

1 minute ago

• 3 years ago

It rather amazes me how a lot Obama supporters in basic terms rather pay attention what they decide directly to pay attention with the one hundred hundred years in Iraq fact. McCain meant we can decide on a protection tension in Iraq for a protracted time, not struggling with a conflict for a one hundred years like the zombie like Obama supporters shop making this quote appear like. we've squaddies around the international as protection forces in places like Cuba and Germany. to answer the question i don't think of that maximum Hillary supporters will bounce to McCain yet i think of a few will because of the fact they comprehend Barack Obama does not have the right widespread journey to run this united states of america nor the national protection or distant places coverage journey. McCain is gentle years earlier than Obama in those areas. Obama debating McCain approximately conflict and distant places coverage is like me, a 21 3 hundred and sixty 5 days previous, telling a doctor with 30 years journey the thank you to do an operation.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am left amazed today at the questions like this in this forum. You ask why and then when you are told why you just call names - this has been repeated over and over today from Obama supporters. As though that is going to persuade anyone or bring anyone to Obama's side. If you are going to make arguments about McCain, the Supreme Court argument is one of the worst. McCain has never, but never, been a typical Republican. That is the beginning basis for those who don't believe Obama is right for the job in considering voting for McCain. Even his own right wingers in his party are po'd that he got the nomination, and there's a reason for that. McCain will never nominate far right judges to the Supreme Court. If you knew the first thing about him you'd already know that. Maybe, just maybe, those Hillary supporters who will not vote for Obama feel a Jr. Senator who was in the U.S. Senate for about three minutes before thinking he could run this country is a dangerous idea. Maybe they see no substance and nothing but rhetoric. Maybe they see a man who got nominated for all the wrong reasons. Maybe those Democrats who would vote for McCain remember the McCain from 2000 who alienated the Republican Party with his Democratic like tolerance of those different from him. McCain is a complicated man, and for those who know anything about him, painting him as some right wing neocon Republican is absolutely laughable. McCain did the "Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" thing as a lampoon joke against doing that, not a statement supporting bombing them.

I swear to God, if any of you Obama supporters think that these sort of arguments are going to sway the Democrats for McCain people you are living in a fantasy world. Maybe Obama can get through to you guys, because no one else can. He better do so, because none of you are doing him any favors with your attitudes and sniping at Clinton supporters.

• 1 decade ago

Many Hillary supporters feel the DNC has always favored Obama. The rules committee endorsing that crazy Michigan vote proposal was sort of the last straw for many. OK....he wasn't on the ballot so it should not have all gone to Hillary. But to take votes away from Hillary and give all uncommitted to Obama was a real slap in the face to the Hillary campaign

A vote for McCain is a way to protest the DNC to some. You are right however on all the issues facing us. In that respect a vote for McCain is scary.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Because the Democratic party has become so FAR LEFT that it has left the traditional party base with no where to go.

When they anointed Obama, the DNC told them that their values and concerns were no longer important to the party, that they could "cling" to their guns and bibles as "bitterly" as they wanted, but they still expected them to vote Democrat because the Elites knew what was in their best interest because they were better "educated."

When they objected, the Obama people said they were "racists."

Yeah, sure.

Adios.

These are the same people who have been voting Republican for years.

Reagan - twice.

George HW Bush or Ross Perot - remember that Clinton only got 42% of the vote in 1992.

Clinton couldn't break 50% in 1996. Against Dole!!!

The moderate Democrats voted for George Bush -twice.

The Democrats haven't had a majority president since Carter who got 50.1%

They've won 5 of 14 elections in 56 years. Only 3 of the past 10 elections.

This is NOT new.

Why are you the least bit surprised?

The Democratic party has moved to far to the LEFT for them.

They haven't left the party.

The Democratic party has LEFT them.

• 1 decade ago

It's very difficult for moderate democrats to vote for an extreme Liberal.

There's are many important issues out there that a Liberal president could have a very negative effect on our society

higher taxes. increasing the capital gains tax which will hurt many senior citizens and retirement plans

taxing corporation (the US has the second highest corporate tax in the free world)

Taxing only the rich, while leaving the AMT in effect, many middle class citizens are being effected

Socialized medicine. Does not work in another country, why would it work here

Promoting & supporting illegal immigration.

Larger Government - The Libs think that the citizens are not smart enough to take care of themselves, they need the gov

Liberal governments destroy economies more easily than promote them.

• 1 decade ago

I'm not a Hillary supporter but I voted Democrat in previous years, and I'll most likely vote for McCain. I say most likely because my other option would be to write in a candidate's name. I will never, ever vote for Obama.

I believe that politicians are all scum one way or another, and that an honest decent person can never become a prominent politician. I don't admire McCain but at least with him (and Hillary as well), they have this transparency to them and you can call on their BS without being called racist. With Obama, it's as if the guy is a saint and you can't even criticize him without being accused of being a racist. His supporters also put me off-- they are like rabid animals who crave a totalitarian government.

Also, what disgusts me about the Democrat party is how they divided themselves for the sake of sensationalism (a woman vs a black man, oh wow), and now they want Obama and Clinton to run on the same ticket for the sake of "uniting" their party. It's a bit too late for that now, sorry.

• Sidney
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I really don't trust the polls, opinions, and analysis, which have almost replaced news reporting. I think the "reporters" actually influence events, rather than just investigating and reporting them. I can't believe that Clinton supporters would do the opposite of what she asked them to do and vote for McCain, whose agenda is the opposite of hers, instead of voting for Obama, whose views are very close to her own. The reason the race between Hillary and Barack was so close is because their views are so similar. The only way they would vote for McCain is if they care more about distractions than they do about what the next president will do, which will affect their own lives.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Clinton supporters are a little bitter and emotional right now. Give them time, and they will come around. It really does not make sense as to why they would deflect to the Republican party. After all, Hillary endorsed Obama today. So, if Hillary wants Obama as president, then that is illogical for her supporters to vote for McCain. For those that will deflect, why not vote McCain over Hillary in the first place? It really does not make sense.

• ArRo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

In some people, the "get even" idea is very strong. Some of Senator Clinton's supporters are saddled with this particular silly thought and want to "show Obama" that they will not support him. For some, it's merely because he is half-black...for others, it's just "sour grapes". In any case, as long as Senator Clinton encourages the majority of her supporters to vote for Senator Obama, I think Senator McCain will be sent back to the Senate to resume his seat!

• 1 decade ago

McCain is quite a left leaning Rep and many Clinton supporters are rather right leaning Dems meaning that they all sort of lean towards the middle. Obama is extremely left and so for many, McCain is more in line with their beliefs and values.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.