Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

What year did the military stop using 'section 8 discharge' for mentally unfit people?

I'm just curious.

Favorite Answer

The term Section 8 refers to a former discharge from the United States military for reason of being mentally unfit for service.

1st definition: A U.S. Army discharge based on military assessment of psychological unfitness or character traits deemed undesirable. Also spelled Section VIII 1. through World War II, a psychiatric discharge; an other than honorable discharge for being mentally or emotionally unfit for military service.

2nd defintion: A soldier given such a discharge or behaving as if deserving such a discharge. [After Section VIII of World War II U.S. Army Regulation 615-360, which provided for the discharge of those deemed unfit for military service.]

In the 1950s, Section 8 discharges were commonly given to service members found guilty of "Sexual Perversion," and it was classified as an undesirable discharge, depriving the soldier so discharged of veteran's benefits but not resulting in the loss of any citizenship rights, such as the right to vote.

Discharge under "Section 8" is no longer a military reality, as medical discharges for psychological/psychiatric reasons are now covered by a number of regulations. In the Army, such discharges are handled under the provisions of Army Regulation (AR) 635-200, Active Duty Enlisted Administrative Separations. Chapter 5, paragraph 13 governs the separation of personnel medically diagnosed with a personality disorder.

We now give folks in the Army a Chapter 5-13 or 5-13. One is for mental issues like bedwetting or claustophobia and the other is for like when you start hearing the voices.

Source(s): US Army JAG NCO
  • pires

Section 8 Discharge

Section 8 Military

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm just curious.

Source(s): year military stop 39 section 8 discharge 39 mentally unfit people: https://tinyurl.im/g21kA

"Section Eight" never existed. It was a creation of the media and modern myth. There was a Chapter Eight in Army Regulation 635-200 which dealt with separation of those with psychoses. But, that manual has been re-written many times over the past few decades and that reference is now contained in a different chapter. Chapter Eight now deals with separation for pregnancy. BTW, the character of Corporal Klinger on M.A.S.H. wasn't "bucking for a Section Eight". What he was exhibiting was cross-dressing and that isn't a symptom of a psychosis. So, a different chapter of that regulation would have applied. I always wonder if Jamie Farr (the actor who played that role and was the only member of the cast who was a veteran of the Korean War) ever wanted to buck the script writers and have them quit using the phrase. LOL!

year military stop section 8 discharge mentally unfit people

Honey, I am mentally unfit and I was trained combat fit vocation. And I have completed my national service in the Army for 2.5 years till end of service cycle. The one and only unique case in my country so far i know of. lol.

So, Obama goes on TV and claims your employer will no longer pay AT ALL and will in fact RECEIVE up to 29 times what they had been paying. In other words, if they PAY $5,000/year for your plan, they will now GET PAID $145,000/year to continue your participation. Look how many respondents here ACTUALLY think that's reasonable.

1955