Will heavy rains destroy my flowers?

I live in the Midwest where we are experiencing extreme heavy rains (8-12 inches) and flooding in some areas. I just planted some flowers (a variety) in late May and when I look out my window they are literally in a pool of water. Is this going to kill them?

Favorite Answer

I am here in Missouri, where we have had a LOT of rain the last couple of days. Not to orry! Most of your flowers will bounce back from the beating they have taken from the rain. If you have clay soil, it will take longer to dry out the better drained sandy or loamy soils. Right now, outside here, it is like a bog garden. Some plants love this and some are overwhelmed. My hydrangea are thrilled, while some of the annuals look a bit beaten down. But rainy season is almost over and you will get back to normal watering schedules.

• In general 8-12 inches of rain will not kill flowers, However it is important to make sure that the slope of the land is such that heavy erosion will not occur. If that happens the flowers could starve from a lack of nutrients or be uprooted and washed away.

well first off it depends on what kind of flowers you have planted.

but no it will not kill your flowers.

maybe you could try to put something over it when the rain is heavy.

like a fold out table to keep them dry and to make sure they dony get damaged.

Most of the time it will not kill them.

After the rains, do not "help" them to stand up straight. Let them do this on their own.