My mortgage lender screwed me a week before closing.?

I qualified for a new program called the HLPR loan back in April. It only required 3% down and an interest rate of 5.50%. My credit score is about a 740. I signed my contract and sent in my 3%. 2 weeks later I receive my GFE which states an estimated pmi of $67.10 per month which I thought was awesome. Now it is... show more I qualified for a new program called the HLPR loan back in April. It only required 3% down and an interest rate of 5.50%. My credit score is about a 740. I signed my contract and sent in my 3%. 2 weeks later I receive my GFE which states an estimated pmi of $67.10 per month which I thought was awesome. Now it is June (and on a Friday evening) and my lender calls to tell me that I need to put down another $4000 to get pmi (she says new pmi guidelines) and banks won't loan 97% ltv anymore only 95%. . I am scheduled to close any day now and I have to take money from my closing costs because she says that she just found this out The program only required 3% down and I have a committment letter to prove it. Did I do anything wrong? Should I talk to my real estate attorney?
5 answers 5