Preventing flies on a dessert table outdoor?

guys! i have a question, ill be making a dessert table for a friends party this coming month and it includes a cupcake tower, the thing is, the party will be held outdoor and we all know that when outdoors, it cant be helped that there would be flies around. My question is, how can i prevent flies or any insect... show more guys! i have a question, ill be making a dessert table for a friends party this coming month and it includes a cupcake tower, the thing is, the party will be held outdoor and we all know that when outdoors, it cant be helped that there would be flies around.

My question is, how can i prevent flies or any insect from going to the cupcakes without compromising the design of the tower? do u have any suggestions regarding this? should i put up a net or something like that? i am open to any good suggestion! thanks! :)

PS: I have read that basil plants repel flies? is this true? has anyone tried this, and if ever, would the scent of the basil effect the flavor of the cakes?

Thanks for the suggestions, its very much appreciated!
Update: Oh yes! i almost forgot...i have read that i should avoid putting scented candles to the table near the cakes because it will affect the taste of the cupcakes...