Electric Vehicles...what happened?

I know there was a documentary about the truth about electric vehicles... but i wanted people opinion on what they believe what happened. I personally believe that the idea was scrapped to make more money by focusing on oil. I mean years ago there was talk about electric vehicles... then it disappears and we take a step back with a hybrid. I have a hybrid and i still wish electric vehicles are around

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There were a lot of reasons why the EV1 was scrapped.

I think the main reason was that GM didn't want it to work. They've got a lot of money invested in gas vehicle technology, and the EV1 was expensive to build. They would have had to put a big price tag on them to make a profit.

The good news is that electric vehicles are making a big comeback. The Green Vehicles Triac coming out in July is the first affordable highway speed electric car. See the link below for further details.

• 2n2222
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You were lied to. The EV-1 you saw was never a practical vehicle for general use. That's why it was only leased, and only in southern California, where there's no ice. The car ran on very narrow tires, like motorcycle tires, inflated to eighty psi, and it contained a thousand pounds of batteries. The car was made of plastic and aluminum to minimize weight, and it was not known how suspension parts like this would age. Hence GM couldn't guarantee the safety of the cars, and called them back in.

There still aren't any electric cars made anywhere, in any nation, except for some Nepalese commuter taxis that are charged every few hours. The reason? The batteries are still too poor. They don't run the car for very long, and they fail under the severe service of automotive use. That's why using a hybrid as a straight plug-in will void its warranties.

I suspect that we'll be seeing the first of the financial fraud cases surrounding electric car manufacturers later this year. I do wonder if Tesla Motors isn't going to find itself in trouble fairly soon.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just as in the past, American car companies see that people expect to pay less for a small vehicle than a large vehicle. A 40,000.00 SUV is 20,000 dollars in profits. The only thing you save is about 50 dollars of steel when you make a small car.

So even though the automobile companies knew that the fuel prices would go up again one day they decided it would be better to convince you that you want a huge vehicle that requires steps to get into. They were right in the short term.

Now the Chevy volt is funded again, but will not be ready for years. Hydrogen was twenty years away in the 70s and still is.

It seems that only sustained high gas prices can make us do what we should do.

• Ken
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Electric vehicles have been around for a long long time. Unfortunately, auto companies saw gas/diesel engine vehicles as more profitable so they neglected putting forth the efforts they should have to improve the technology. Now the big automakers are suffering and trying to play catch-up.

Pluggable hybrids should start coming out in 2009 or 2010, and for many drivers they'll be able to do most of their driving on electric alone (only requiring gas for long trips or at high speeds). Several small companies are making electric cars and more are expected soon.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • GABY
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Many Electric cars have been developed. None have been very successful due primarily to their short range between charges and cost (Initial & Battery replacement) relative to conventional vehicles.

New designs with improved batteries are now being developed that increase range, along with the increase in fuel prices may improve their chance of being accepted. The new GM Volt may have a chance, but GM still has not perfected the new batteries for production.

Their failure in the past had nothing to do with car manufacturerers or oil companies, or power.

• 1 decade ago

Electric vehicles have several problems that have yet to be solved. First it is the size, weight, life span and capacity of them. Most are heavy and only last 3-5 years. Then you have the environmental problem of disposal of them and their acid. Next is one that most folks don't think about. You need to charge the batteries. For this you need a power source. The most efficient is either hydro-carbon (coal or gas ) or nuke generators. So you see. It really doesn't save any fuel. You just transfer to ignition point and burn more energy for less result. Awe yes you say solar. You still need storage (batteries) and at the present time solar cells are at best 5% efficient and on cloudy days even less. Not a neat thing when you need to go and your storage is not at full capacity.

• 1 decade ago

I just saw an SS Monte Carlo (classic, not sure of year) on planet green (http://www.planetgreen.com/ , sorry, not sure where you'd find the specific story) that was converted to be electric. They were talking about how quick, and quiet it was.

Interesting note, Electric motors have a LOT more low end torque then gas engines, engines have to rev up, electric motors are either on, or off. So if you're driving even a hybrid, jack-rabbit starts are actually a good thing, otherwise your wasting potential energy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Tesla motors has a car that weight 150 pounds goes from o-6 in 3.5 seconds 225 miles per tank and look like a sports car. This car cost quite a bit the engine is only the size of a watermelon it has one rotor that's it. As you can see the technology is there for the taking all we have to do is do it.

Only a fool would say they aren't good enough **** we can fly to the moon don't you think we can make a care that seat 5 has storage room and works we could do it with ease. large corporation are making money on finite resource that is toxic to our lungs and is killing soldiers can you believe it?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

True electric cars have two big handicaps

.. . ..

It takes 6 hours to get a full change

.. . ..

When the battery starts to come to the end of its charge your car will start to slow down from its top speed

.. . ..

The battery usage time starts to shorten because of usage .. as do with all rechargeable batteries

.. . ..

And every time you have to recharge it the charge usage time decreases by say 45 seconds depends on the quality and type of battery

.. . ..

Don't sound like a whole lot of lost time but it does add up

.. . ..

And the replacement cost is kind of on the break the bank side

.. . ..

• 1 decade ago

the blueprints for the vehicles were bought by the oil companies so we would have to buy gas guzzling vehicles!

im sure they are locked up somewhere in a safe so when oil goes dry they will have an alternative money source... or they were destroyed altogether!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.