Y
Y asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

do you ever read a book and see a word you dont know the meaning of?

and think i should get a dictionary and look that up, but decide against it, and just keep on reading? how many words out there do you not know because of this?

• Sarah
    Best Answer

Oh all the time. Lol. I read it and then think hmm well what could that mean? Maybe I should look it up. But then again.. its just a word.. I don't feel like getting up haha I think I'll just keep reading.

Yes! That happened to me recently. In every page there was like 20 words that I dont know. One of my friends who was reading this book too marked all of the words and looked in the dictionary. I was too lazy so I got all confused and didnt get to finish the book!

• I hate to be such a nerd, but my dad and I used to play a dictionary game. He'd find a random word and challenge me to the definition. I always did "It Pays to Increase Your Word Power" in Reader's Digest, read the dictionary just to beat him and took a semester of vocab enrichment for my English in high school and one in college.

Not very often, but I always look things up in my dictionary. It's a good tool to have, really. I love words and learning new things.

The saddest book i have ever read is either Before I die, Or The Boy In Stripped Pj's. And yeah, they both die at the end and it is soooooooo sad, Bruno's dad also gets killed at the end.

I grab a dictionary. Maybe that's why I don't have to look up words very often.

• Since I am very old and read constantly it has to been in the thousands at least.

Usually the sentence will be the key to the word meaning.

YES- get in the HABIT of looking up words & keep a dictionary handy. knowledge=bliss

I use my dictionary alot, even when I'm reading.

I'm such a nerd at it sometimes I will just flip pages to read new words. I wished it helped my spelling thogh

Yes. This happens often to me and most of the time I end up looking up the word because it bugs me. LOL

Great question!