What do I do when my computer has a virus with black bugs crawling and "eating" the screen?

Ok, I don't know what's wrong. My computer has a virus in which the desktop screen turns blue and says "Warning, Spyware detected in your computer" and "Install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer". Then after some time some wierd black bugs or beetles come crawling across the screen and "eat" the screen. Is there any free safe program I can install that will fix this?

I already have AVG(only 7.5), and Avira AntiVir, but the blue screen has just appeared on another one of my computer accounts.

Best Answer

I just fixed mine with the answer from a fellow answerer. It works!

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

method1:

press ctrl+alt+del

locate and terminate the process ctfmonb.exe

search the hard disk and delete the following files

blackster.scr

ctfmonb.exe

method2:

- disable system restore

-boot in safe mode

-run all antivirus / antispyware scans

Take help of following free tools

-spybot s&d

-smitFraudFix tool from Siri

-remove restrictions tool from Sergiwa

• Mcgoo

Boot into SAFE MODE with networking.

Do this by pressing the F8 key once every second while booting the machine. Continue until the boot menu loads. Then select the safe mode with networking option. This will take much longer to load than what you are used to and will look very strange. But it also will prevent the virus or spyware that is causing the "bugs" from loading.

If you have an anti-virus program installed. Open it, update the virus definitions, and then run a scan. Do not be surprised if it fails to find a virus, as you could have a spyware, or hijacker causing this.

Once you have completed the anti-virus scan. Open your internet browser and go to this site.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.h...

Download Spybot: Search & Destroy for any of the mirror sites listed.

Install the program and update the definitions. Then run the Spybot scan to find and fix any spyware or other malware problems. If you have been surfing the net without an anti-spyware program actively running, you could see hundreds or even thousands of hits on the scan. ( I have seen as many as 6138 hits on a single scan)

Fix all the problems found, and then run a second scan. This is to make sure you did not miss any the first time.

Once you have a clean scan, then reboot your machine back into normal windows mode. Open Spybot again and look for the Immunize program on the main menu bar. Run this to protect yourself from some 50,000 malware programs that can try to install on your machine. This program will prevent any of the known spyware sites from installing trash on your machine in the future.

2

Source(s): #1 Antivirus For PC - http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?TQZn

First, make sure that you have an up to date antivirus program (If you don't, install Avira AntiVir Personal. If you have one that has expired, uninstall it with RevoUninstaller and then install Avira AntiVir Personal). I would also recommend that you use ThreatFire, Spyware Doctor Starter Edition, and Comodo Firewall (Just like with the antivirus above, you should only have ONE firewall). Once they are installed, disable System Restore and do full scans with all of them. If you need any extra help, feel free to send me a message on Yahoo Messenger and I can walk you through it or help you some more.

You can always download the free AVG Antivirus program, install it and then run it. Just search AVG on Google or whatever, But if your computer wont do anything else but what you described; then, the hard drive needs to be reborn. That is to say you need to get your documents off the drive and then erase it. When that is done, repartition and format the drive and stick in your operating system, from now on don't be without protection from those jerks. visit www.adayisnew.com it is still being built but they can still help.

P.S. Nothing is eating your screen it is just a script object, and images, I bet when you turn the computer off the screen is still there :)

First make sure you have sufficient security on you PC (e.g firewall and anti-virus) then download and run a scan with Ad-aware 2008.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2008/3000-8022_4-...

The strongest free protection for your PC is

Comodo Pro (firewall) and AVG 8.0 Free Edition (anti-virus).

More user friendly option:

ZoneAlarm (firewall) requires less setting up then Comodo pro

All available from download.com

Would also recommend that you use a safer browser like Firefox, and download additional anti-spyware software my favourite is Ad-aware 2008.

I recently removed my McAfee firewall and installed Comodo Pro, its the best firewall I've ever used and comes top in leaktests (see below) if you are getting too many warnings turn the defence + setting to clean computer.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challeng...

(Don't use AntiVir, a lot of people recommended Avira AntiVir to me so I removed AVG 8.0 Free Edition and installed AntiVir but it would not update, the forums are full of people having the same problem)

Turn off your computer and start it in safe mode and restore it back to a previous date.....if that doesnt work download a trial virus remover and try to source the file...and delete it in safe mode.....make sure you get the right file or your computer could crash altogether...when you have the right file sourced a warning wil come up saying are you sure you want to remove this system file.......only click yes if you are sure thats it.......the best way to make sure its the right file is when you scan your comp there will be a path of where the file is....highlight that and copy it.....in the start menu open run and paste the path in just removing the final part so that it doesnt open the file just the folder when the folder opens you will see the file name and just delete it

Please print out and follow the generic instructions for using "SmitfraudFix ( http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix... )".

-- If you have downloaded SmitfraudFix previously, please delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!

-- If using Windows Vista be sure to Run As Administrator (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows...

•Make sure you scroll down to Clean and perform the steps where you reboot in "Safe Mode" and run option #2.

•The tool will go through a series of cleanup processes and automatically start the Disk Cleanup program to remove Temporary files. Wait for it to complete and Disk Cleanup to finish.

-- If the tool fails to launch from the Desktop, please move smitfraudFix.exe to the root of the system drive (usually C:\), and run it from there.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop..." button.

Click on the "Web" tab, then under Web Pages, uncheck and delete everything you find (except "My Current Home page").

These are some common malware related entries you may see:

•Security Info

•Warning Message

•Security Desktop

•Warning Homepage

•Privacy Protection

•Desktop Uninstall

If present, select each entry and click the Delete button.

Also, make sure the Lock desktop items box is unchecked. Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok".

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

alternate download link ( http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/mbam-setup... )

•Make sure you are connected to the Internet.

•Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

•When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.

•When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

○Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

○Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

•Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

•If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.

•Press the OK button to close that box and continue.

•If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.

On the Scanner tab:

•Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.

•Then click on the Scan button.

•If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

•The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.

•When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".

•Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:

•Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.

•Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

•When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)

•The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

•Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

If there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".

Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.

Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.

Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr

Click "Ok".

Click the "More Options" Tab.

Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one

LOL! I downloaded the same virus. I was surfing for age resticted sites (wink wink) when the computer told me to update something like my directX and BANG! The sad part is I went to my parents to use a high speed connection, so my home PC is running great, theirs...no so good.

Well someone hacked you.

Put up a firewall and get Norton Antivirus

The best FREE software is Ad-Aware but it doesn't do a constant watch of your computer unless you pay for the full version