POLL Should Americans adopt the British way of spelling?

45 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Most definitely 'NO', the English language has developed the way it has using several different 'borrowed' languages, and the spelling of our own choosing, it's a 'living' language.

The Americans in turn have adapted the language and their spelling in a way that suits them, in many cases it's a lot more sensible than ours, and it's us who should consider adopting some of theirs.

• 1 decade ago

No. Americans have enough trouble getting their own colloquial spellings correct. Besides, phonetically speaking, how would the American government keep their people ignorant enough to keep them under control if the people were capable of communicating effectively with the rest of the world. If they can't even phonetically pronounce a word properly how are they expected to spell it correctly. It's better to keep them in the dark. As a Canadian I can tell you that Americans would become too confounded to get through their everyday, mundane lives if they were expected to spell and write what other people would have a chance to understand. Besides, isn't it fun to point fingers at our American cousins and just laugh at their stupidity, without having them screw up the language any more than they already have?

• 1 decade ago

What you and most of your contemporaries don't seem to understand is that English and American English are TWO different languages.

In the 1890's it was agreed between the two nations that although we spoke a similar language we would spell our words differently and some words would have different meanings. Like Bonnet and Hood or Boot and Trunk.

There are numerous other words that are quite innocent in our English that can be obscene in American English. Like our cat is our Pu$$y but their Pu$$y is a ladies nether region.

So be a little tolerant of our American Cousins as they are to us who spell words with ugh on the end like borough, thorough,

etc whilst theirs is boro, thoro.

History is not just about dates and dead kings.

• 1 decade ago

no offence, but this would probably be quite a challenge for most yanks. Also this is cultural and it's important to appreciate a little about the history of the language before trying to adopt facets like spelling.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I have an idea: Why don't we Americans and you Brits both change our way of spelling to something that makes more sense; for example, instead of "color" or "colour" why not do something smart and spell it the way most of us pronounce it, "kuler." If the "e" is silent, don't use it. And since "ph" sounds like "f" then use "f" instead. And if "ei" sounds like "a" then why don't we just write an "a" and be done with it. Sounds reasonable to me.

• podge
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The way the education standards are going here in the UK perhaps it would help if we had some American teachers here. Their way of spelling might be an improvement on some of the examples of misspelling seen on UK Yahoo Answers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yupp. I live in America and I spell the British way on reports and get points taken off =(.

• 1 decade ago

Should the British adopt our way of spelling some of the words, too? ♥

• DC
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No. English has always been a fusion of different languages. Just because another country uses it in a different way from the current English people use it doesn't make that wrong!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We speak ENGLISH don't we? I had to figure out that quay is "key" and "queue" is a line up. But it's all fun, especially when you sit in the centre of the theatre. I can't read Chronicles of Narnia in anything but a British accent. Go ahead, see if you can do it. ;c)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.